• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Question

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here is my problem. My left rear driving lamp/turn signal light is not working when the headlights are turned on. It stil works just fine as a turn signal, so the bulb is not bad, but it won't come on just as a marker light. Any idea what is going on here? Wiring is not exactly my forte, so I figured I would ask for help. Is there something obvious that I am missing? thanks for any help.

????

They are different bulbs. The tail lights are the low-intensity filaments in the two bulbs behind the red lenses (the other filament is the brake lights). Turn signals use different bulbs in the amber portion of the housing.

Right, the tail lights are OK, I am talking about the amber light. It will go on with the turn signals, but it won't go on as just a side marker light. I'm guessing it is a problem under the dash being that if it was in the wires between there and the back of the vehical, the light wouldn't go on as a turn signal.

Look closely. I'm less familiar with the '97 and newer XJs, but isn't the side marker a different bulb? What's the bulb number for the turn signal bulb? If it's an 1156 (or if it has only one filament in it -- compare it to a brake light and you'll see the difference) it can't serve both functions.

Back