• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 or 8in lift?

6" is plenty for 37's. Since you narrowed your axles, you want to keep it low so you aren't trying to fall over all the time on the trail.

focus on switching over to 4wd before you slap on 37's...

...unles you're wanting to go to a pre-runer style rig, 2wd jumping dunes with ong travel suspension and stuff...then i wouldn't go over 33's and 4.5" lift.

GottaBeJeep said:
6" is plenty for 37's. Since you narrowed your axles, you want to keep it low so you aren't trying to fall over all the time on the trail.

Maybe in KS 6"s is enough for 37s, with your amount of timming, but you wouldnt have any fenders round here.

Okay, so you converted it, thats good, it's a step in the right direction. All I am saying is that you are very new to this and should start off smaller instead of building the biggest rig you can. Overbuilding can get you into trouble on the trail if you don't know what you are doing. I would not drive behind you on the street with a rig that big, let alone the trail. Hope your planning for a roll cage, cause your gonna use it, alot......................:rolleyes:

i am not completely new to this i had a toy before this with like 36s and lockers and stuff!!!! obviously i am concerned with being top heavy other wise i wouldn't be goign over this subject. and yes i do plan on a full exo in the futher and you DON"T KNOW HOW I WHEEL!

91 Jeep Project said:
Okay, so you converted it, thats good, it's a step in the right direction. All I am saying is that you are very new to this and should start off smaller instead of building the biggest rig you can. Overbuilding can get you into trouble on the trail if you don't know what you are doing. I would not drive behind you on the street with a rig that big, let alone the trail. Hope your planning for a roll cage, cause your gonna use it, alot......................:rolleyes:

Take it easy on the kid, at least he is asking the questions, maybe not in the best format, but at least he's got he common sense to ask.
You can't have much experiance at 20, your self.
We are all learning as we gain experiance. I've been whellin' for 10+years and still learn something everytime I go out.

As for the 37's, start smaller and work up from there. just get some seat time first. it is a good idea to do so.

cyrus said:
Take it easy on the kid, at least he is asking the questions, maybe not in the best format, but at least he's got he common sense to ask.
You can't have much experiance at 20, your self.
We are all learning as we gain experiance. I've been whellin' for 10+years and still learn something everytime I go out.

As for the 37's, start smaller and work up from there. just get some seat time first. it is a good idea to do so.

You don't know the kid, and you haven't spent weeks answering the same questions he is asking now. I already said I am still learning alot after 3 years with a lifted XJ. I never said that I know that much. But he cannot be talked out of huge lift and tires. And just because you had a toy with 36's doesn't mean you know anything about it. You NEED to start off small and learn the basics of wheeling. Most of the members on here would say that you could learn more at 31's with good lockers than jumping straight to a huge lift and tires. I am not trying to lay into the kid this much, but you have no idea the behind scenes conversations I have had with him. His eyes are bigger than his wallet and/or capabilites.............. :lecture:

At 25 I still have tons to learn and have been doing this for 8 years. Kid, your in the right direction but dont be impatient. I went thru the learning curve by starting with a 2.5" and 31's. Now i am WAY up there and ill tell ya the curve is fun b/c there is nothing like beating the piss out of a rig with like 5" and 33's. Plus the deeper i get into the rig, the more attached i have become. When i had minimal $ into the project, I had a much heavier foot on the skinny pedal and when i was on 31's I used to launch the thing. Also go for what u want but at the same time remember Rome was not built in a day, although it looked damn good after a week.

ok congrats on the 4wd...now, i agree with the others. keep it at 6" and trim more. lower you can get the body to the ground and still clear the bigger meats, the better.

now, if you're gonna do 37's there are other things you have to worry about besides lift. GEARING comes to mind first...and axle strength (i dunno your rig so i dunno what you have in it) and brakes. all three will be drasticly changed when you go to 37" tires.

so..make sure to trim, go with 6", regear if necessary, make sure you have enough axle, and make sure you have enough braking power (rear discs if you haven't already done the swap would be nice)

as for you being too young and immature to wheel this thing...everyone's different. and i have hit trails with teens who are more mature and pick better lines than some of the 30+ guys i ride with every weekend. prove rugger wrong and send him pics of your 37" tires flexing on a massive ledge, ok? just be safe and smart.

I'm running in the neighborhood of 6" with TJ flares and 36" TSL's. I'm actually in the market for some 37's because I know for a fact they will fit. Now, for everyone suggesting 3" and 31's, how many of you wish you could have all the $$ back that you spent on smaller lift components when you could have spent the $$ right the first time? My advice is to spend the money on a quality 5.5"-6" lift kit of your choice, trim accordingly, and go from there. My .02.

MIke

Back