• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Relocation ????

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody ever relocated the altenator up to where the AC pump is. The AC is completely shot and I have removed all but the pump. Had to keep it for serpintine belt puposes. Know I want to kiss it goodbye. I was looking in there today and if I could get the alternator up to where it is I could maintain all the right rotations. Anybody think it's doable or been there and done that?

That's a good question and it would also help to get the alternator up and away from the water, snow, mud and general trail damage. I'm anxious to see if anyone's done this as well...sorry that I couldn't help ya.....and I wanted to subscribe to this thread after I read it.
Thanks
Aron

i remember reading somewhere that there is an alternator that has the same bolt pattern as the A/c pump. at least the one's with the bolts that go straight down. i'll try to find it again. you may try a auto electric shop somehere and see if the know of the alt im thinking of.

as another option some XJ's (or maybe ZJ's) had just an idler pulley in place of the A/C. don't know which models exactly though.

I always wanted to run a second alternator somehow. this would be easy if you deleted the a/c i suppose.

Hope i was some help, or at the very least confusing

Dingo

I was recently looking at a 2001 XJ right hand drive[mail truck]. The altenator is in the same spot as the a/c compressor would be for a left hand drive. And the A/c compressors mounted below the exhaust manifold... I say get the bracket for the right hand drive altenator, and ditch the ac, and find a shorter belt. Ya wouldnt have A/c, but it would save your alternator. I'll see if i can get pictures..

Does anybody have any pictures of a TJ or RH drive XJ available?

Dingo

No P/N yet but i just looked at some OBA install pics of some TJ's and i don't see any difference between them and my current setup (91) I do know some Grand Cherokee's had the a/c mounted low on the drivers side and the alternator up high, however i have not been able to nail down a specific year hell at this point i don't even know if it's a ZJ or WJ. Any body have one in the driveway we can take pics of?

Dingo

well in a wj on the way to lax. popped the hood and took a pict butdont have a host site right now.

alt on top where my xj a/c is

will host and post later

AngryDog said:
Has anybody ever relocated the altenator up to where the AC pump is. The AC is completely shot and I have removed all but the pump. Had to keep it for serpintine belt puposes. Know I want to kiss it goodbye. I was looking in there today and if I could get the alternator up to where it is I could maintain all the right rotations. Anybody think it's doable or been there and done that?

Yes: I have relocated the alternator on my Comanche to the location of the A/c
I took the alternator bracket of a 1990 2.5 engine and that bracket fits right on the 4.L now you will need to use the 4cy alternator (or the front alternator housing) due to clock position of the mounting ear.
Now I used the 4cy water pump pulley also and I don’t run the mechanical fan or its bracket. I run duel electric factory fans. Use the 4cy belt and I did have to trim about a 1/4 inch from the aluminum idle pulley mounting boss. All in all it’s very simple and I have run that setup for a year now with no issues.
That is a simple way to relocate with factory parts. And its looks factory because it could have been if Jeep had decided so,

If you need pics let me know, and if you have questions send em

Tom

image_00016.jpg

Comanchedude said:
Yes: I have relocated the alternator on my Comanche to the location of the A/c
I took the alternator bracket of a 1990 2.5 engine and that bracket fits right on the 4.L now you will need to use the 4cy alternator (or the front alternator housing) due to clock position of the mounting ear.
Now I used the 4cy water pump pulley also and I don’t run the mechanical fan or its bracket. I run duel electric factory fans. Use the 4cy belt and I did have to trim about a 1/4 inch from the aluminum idle pulley mounting boss. All in all it’s very simple and I have run that setup for a year now with no issues.
That is a simple way to relocate with factory parts. And its looks factory because it could have been if Jeep had decided so,

If you need pics let me know, and if you have questions send em

Tom

I'll take pics: [email protected] and any other pertinent info you wish to add...been thinking of doing this for a while.

One more question:how well do the dual factory elec. fans work?Is there any cooling difference over using the mechanical?What kind of clearance issues did you run into in order to make the factory elec. fan fit on that side?Lastly:how do you have them wired?

Thanks

All XJs over here in England (RHD) have the alternator mounted up high to the left of the valve cover as you look from the front.

The picture above shows it so I would go this route, using RHD parts, to make it simple.

jeepdeepfreak said:
I'll take pics: [email protected] and any other pertinent info you wish to add...been thinking of doing this for a while.

One more question:how well do the dual factory elec. fans work?Is there any cooling difference over using the mechanical?What kind of clearance issues did you run into in order to make the factory elec. fan fit on that side?Lastly:how do you have them wired?

Thanks

I will take picks tomorrow in the daylight and email them to you, as for the fans you will see that info in the pictures basically the driver side fan is standard with A/C
and I just bolted a 1987 fan on the passenger side the lower fan brackets exists on both sides on the rad support and I use a universal thermo switch wired through relays ,its all really basic. I have not had any issues with overheating and most of the time on road the fans don’t run. Although In traffic they will, and always off road but temps stay 200 or below so it works well for me.
Another thing I did switch my cooling system to “open” and I run a good tranny cooler

I'm beginning to think that this is something else I should work on. There are three XJ alternators out there (Delco SI, Delco CS, and Nippondenso) and as long as the mount point for the A/C compressor is the same all the way up (same location, SD505 compressor,) then I've just got to make it work for the various alternators. If I'm just working on the 4.0, that narrows it down to two alternators - and I could probably build a two-piece bracket...

What do you all think? You should be able to use this for either a stright relocation of the alternator, or for adding a second alternator (but I'm not including the electronics at first - too much liability to worry about. Maybe later - besides, there's enough information out there that you should be able to work it out on your own...)

5-90

Many moons (late '80s) ago I worked for a shop that installed aftermarket a/c. Some people found it was cheaper to opt out on factory ac and have it installed aftermarket. When ordered this way the vehicles would have a factory idler in place of the pump that we would discard and install the aftermarket pump. If you have such a shop near you sometimes the guys hang on to these for whatever reason. Doesn't hurt to go and ask.

5-90 said:
I'm beginning to think that this is something else I should work on. There are three XJ alternators out there (Delco SI, Delco CS, and Nippondenso) and as long as the mount point for the A/C compressor is the same all the way up (same location, SD505 compressor,) then I've just got to make it work for the various alternators. If I'm just working on the 4.0, that narrows it down to two alternators - and I could probably build a two-piece bracket...

What do you all think? You should be able to use this for either a stright relocation of the alternator, or for adding a second alternator (but I'm not including the electronics at first - too much liability to worry about. Maybe later - besides, there's enough information out there that you should be able to work it out on your own...)

5-90

Personally I/m looking to add a second alternator/welder, And keep the existing A/C and still keep my york compressor using the kilby brackets. AFAIK the a/c compressor is able to be mounted on the drivers side bottom of the block, next to the steering box, (TJ and WJ) I wonder if an second alternator would be able to be mounted here as well with csutom bracketry

other things im looking into are using the Kilby bracket for a TJ to mount the york in the XJ's existing a/c spot. See the TJ's already have the alternator mounted up high and the a/c compressor on the bottom DS. I believe if the Kilby bracket is used to mount the york and the alternator then a standard alternator mount could be used BELOW the kilby bracket to run dual alternators.

5-90 If you want some help on this i could help you out with mockups and such and let you do all the production marketing and selling, and even claim all the R&D, i just want to get this welder that i have been working on on the Jeep. So if i can help in anyway let me know.

Dingo

Back