• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Spark?

XJBeast96

NAXJA Forum User
started my wifes stock 96 XJ today, and was going to move it into the garage and it died. Put it into park and turned engine over. Started, ran for a few seconds and died. Tried to restart, Would not start. I checked to make sure I could hear the fuel pump run, it does. Depressed the shrader valve on the fuel rail.Sprayed out fuel. Checked cap and rotor to make sure no moisture in it? So I started checking things out. I pulled the coil wire off the distributor cap and put o plug on it. When i turned the engine over, no spark. Will a coil work one secind and than not again>? I hope it is the coil and not the ECU. What do you guys think..Thanks
Aaron

Turn the key....ON OFF ON OFF ON and wait a few seconds. The Check Engine light will begin to blink a series of two-digit codes if it has stored anything recently. The last code displayed shold be five-five showing "end of codes"

I'd check your CPS next, on the bellhousing. Sometimes if you unplug it and re-connect it, you can get it to start. When my XJ had no spark, and was getting fuel, I did the same diagnostics and it wound up being my CPS gone bad.

No kidding... You would think somone at Jeep would:gag: Wait a minute, what was I thinking? Of course they would NEVER fix all these problems at the factory! $$ I have a 90 XJ and it seems like everyday I'm on here searching for the latest issue. First the "No Spark" thing (Replaced the obvious, plugs, wires, distibutor, rotor, etc...) then went on the coil, ICM and FINALLY did the CPS (Which my Haynes manual didn't even show on the wiring diagram). Now the brakes are screwing up... Never ending story I tell you!

I would try the CPS first...

I had the same problem as you down to the got it to start and then it ran for a few seconds then died. Let it sit for a couple days and it would start so finally i went and replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor and it fired right up! Give that a try

well i put a coil on it.nothing.going to try cps. What a pain in the b@llz to get off...1 1/2 hour for two fawkin bolts..Swing by the stealership tomorrow.I am dreading putting it back on. Thanks for all the info!!
THUMBS UP ICON HERE -------->
aaron

I, like you did replace the coil first. It was a pain so i just left it on instead of taking it off and returning it for my money back. Then as soon as i bolted on the CPS it fired right up.

The rule at most auto stores is "No return on electrical parts" so I was stuck with everything I purchased prior to the CPS... But at least I can safely (?) assume those new parts should last another 15 years and I've got some spares now!

If you drop one or both of those CPS bolts during the re-installation & search for an hour or two looking for them with no luck, try unscrewing that plate that covers the flywheel. I dropped a bolt twice and after searching EVERYWHERE, I finally thought "What the hell and took off that cover plate.

Sure enough, there it sat. I left that flywheel cover off until I finished the CPS install...

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Jeep thought they needed those 2 huge (7/16-9/16?) additional bolts to hold that thin little plate one. I guess so you would have to crawl back out from underneath your vehicle? LOL!

RDX

i will try that when i get home. i did drop one of the bolts for the cps. Looked and looked.Yeah i figured that i replaced the coil, and it did not fix it at least i will have a good coil as well as a cps....thanks again

Back