• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ plow rating, different than XJ?

tchase

NAXJA Forum User
My '91 XJ owners manual states that plows must weigh less than 350lbs. or "structure damage" will result. I know the MJ unibody features additional strengthening so does this allow for a higher factory plow rating? I've wondered this before and now we're on our way to look at a MJ with a plow on it so I was wondering if anyone knows.

I wouldn't think that the plow rating would be any higher between the two. (The 'pocketed' lower control arm mounts are the only signifigant upgrade on the front side of an MJ.)

I'd have to have many questions answered before I'd be convinced having a snowplow on the front of an XJ or MJ uniframe is a good idea. :dunno: I'd be really leery of buying one pre-owned...unless the whole kit is for cheap $$$.

A little update:

First, thanks to Woody for the reply. I wasn't sure if there was any additional upgrades besides the LCA mounts. I was pretty skeptical about the idea of a plow on one myself. The price was right however so we just wound up with another pair of MJ's. Just brought the first one home last night and haven't got to look it over yet because I'm busy tryin' to get the MJ I've been driving to start (It died in the guys driveway when we went to pick up the new truck), but we're gettin' a lot of good stuff like 4.0's and D44's cheap.

Anyways I'm off to change a CPS in some guys driveway. I'll post up more details on the new MJ in off-topic as soon as we get the thing into the shop and figure out just what we got. It's a 2wd-4wd conversion with pieces of who only knows how many different rigs so it should be interesting.

Back