• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stealing a Cherokee

IdeaMan

NAXJA Forum User
I just ran across this article: http://www.maximonline.com/grit/articles/article_454.html in which it states

"Hijacking your Remote
Remote-control door unlockers are convenient but potentially dangerous. “If you own a Jeep Cherokee ’97, for example, your remote can theoretically be used to unlock any Jeep Cherokee of the same model year,” explains Heinhold. When your Cherokee is running and the car door is open, all a thief has to do is point his remote at your car and press the button—from then on, your car will read his remote as well as your own. If you’ve got this type of remote alarm/key system, consider getting an ATV (automatic transmitter verification) system, a feature that can tell you how many different remotes your vehicle will respond to and help you prevent them from accessing your car."

Is this possible?

I don't think this would work.
In the 97+ XJ's, the Jeep is programmed to accept the remotes signal, not the other way around. Someone would have to copy the signal from your remote control for that to work. If ever you lose your remote and have your Jeep programmed for a new one, the Jeep automatically cancels out all other previously entered remote codes (so your old remote, if found, will no longer work).
With or without your door open, the Jeep does not give out an entry signal. Only the remote does when pressed. A theif would have to be in an adjacent vehicle (within 30 ft) with his code grabber on to steal your signal. Even so, this will only allow a theif into your Jeep and not access to start it up and drive it away. He would have to break the steering column lock, hotwire it etc...
If someone is going to have to do all the work to break the column etc, they're probably just going to break a window too and not go through all the trouble and expensive of a code grabber and then track you down later.
Basically if a theif wants your Jeep (or into it) bad enough, they're going to get it regardless and they are not going to be "pretty" about.
An alarm or ignition cut off would be your best deterrant. They want an easy target not something complicated and time consuming.
The easiest way to steal ANY vehicle is when the keys are in it, which usually means you too are in it. LOCK YOUR DOORS WHILE DRIVING YOUR JEEP!

Last edited:
Look at the source. Maxim is only good for the pictures. :laugh3:

I live in Surrey BC, the auto theft capitol of the english speaking world(per capita). Sometimes when I park, after hiding everything, putting on the club and locking up, I pull the fuel pump relay out of the fuse box under the hood. Just try to get around that.

I'm going to have to try the technique from the first post. I've got friends (that I trust) with similar year XJ's....it would be nice If we could lock out unambitious thieves, but get into each other's XJ's if need be.

I have manual locks and windows.
The guys in my neighborhood just broke the window out to get in mine.
At least they broke the small one one the rear door. I guess they were P'Oed when they got in and it was empty.

JEEPZZ said:
I don't think this would work.
In the 97+ XJ's, the Jeep is programmed to accept the remotes signal, not the other way around. Someone would have to copy the signal from your remote control for that to work. If ever you lose your remote and have your Jeep programmed for a new one, the Jeep automatically cancels out all other previously entered remote codes (so your old remote, if found, will no longer work).
With or without your door open, the Jeep does not give out an entry signal. Only the remote does when pressed. A theif would have to be in an adjacent vehicle (within 30 ft) with his code grabber on to steal your signal. Even so, this will only allow a theif into your Jeep and not access to start it up and drive it away. He would have to break the steering column lock, hotwire it etc...
If someone is going to have to do all the work to break the column etc, they're probably just going to break a window too and not go through all the trouble and expensive of a code grabber and then track you down later.
Basically if a theif wants your Jeep (or into it) bad enough, they're going to get it regardless and they are not going to be "pretty" about.
An alarm or ignition cut off would be your best deterrant. They want an easy target not something complicated and time consuming.
The easiest way to steal ANY vehicle is when the keys are in it, which usually means you too are in it. LOCK YOUR DOORS WHILE DRIVING YOUR JEEP!

My lock smith has a small random signal generator that runs up a freq scale until it find the right one, Ive seen it work. took all of 10 seconds to open.

Oh adn by the way the xj is on the top 10 of stolen vehicles because of the ease

I was looking into this device recently www.neverstolen.com but didn't buy it. They don't quote the price on the site, but my estimate for device and install was 300$.

If they want it, they'll get it. Around here most theft (in DC area) seems to be joyriders followed by the standard steal and strip guys.

The ONLY good thing about apartment dwelling in my case is a secure garage. But everthing else sucks (that's another thread, heh)

xjnation said:
Oh adn by the way the xj is on the top 10 of stolen vehicles because of the ease
The commonality of parts throughout 18 years of production is also a huge attraction.

IdeaMan said:
I just ran across this article: http://www.maximonline.com/grit/articles/article_454.html in which it states

"Hijacking your Remote
Remote-control door unlockers are convenient but potentially dangerous. “If you own a Jeep Cherokee ’97, for example, your remote can theoretically be used to unlock any Jeep Cherokee of the same model year,” explains Heinhold. When your Cherokee is running and the car door is open, all a thief has to do is point his remote at your car and press the button—from then on, your car will read his remote as well as your own. If you’ve got this type of remote alarm/key system, consider getting an ATV (automatic transmitter verification) system, a feature that can tell you how many different remotes your vehicle will respond to and help you prevent them from accessing your car."

Is this possible?

So that also meens that I should be able to open any Jeep door including newer ZJ's, WJ's, and KJ's that all use the same style of remote as my XJ? Boy that would be nice then I wont have to fork out the $$$ to have a dealer program my remotes to work the ZJ too. Sorry son it's :bs:

Car theft and larceny is pretty common in the Denver area. Hang out around Colfax, north Denver, or Aurora long enough and you'll see several cars with the small rear corner windows broken out. I'm sure that if anyone wanted to get in your car, they will.

I suppose it would help the thief to have the remote...less noise, looks less suspicious. However, I'm still glad I don't have keyless entry.

The controller chip in any modern controller uses something called a hopping code or a rolling code to provide security.Forty bits provide 240 (about 1 trillion) possible codes. Here's how it works:
-The transmitter's controller chip has a memory location that holds the current 40-bit code. When you push a button on your key fob, it sends that 40-bit code along with a function code that tells the car what you want to do (lock the doors, unlock the doors, open the trunk, etc.).
-The receiver's controller chip also has a memory location that holds the current 40-bit code. If the receiver gets the 40-bit code it expects, then it performs the requested function. If not, it does nothing.
-Both the transmitter and the receiver use the same pseudo-random number generator. When the transmitter sends a 40-bit code, it uses the pseudo-random number generator to pick a new code, which it stores in memory. On the other end, when the receiver receives a valid code, it uses the same pseudo-random number generator to pick a new one. In this way, the transmitter and the receiver are synchronized. The receiver only opens the door if it receives the code it expects
-If you are a mile away from your car and accidentally push the button on the transmitter, the transmitter and receiver are no longer synchronized. The receiver solves this problem by accepting any of the next 256 possible valid codes in the pseudo-random number sequence. This way, you (or your three-year-old child) could "accidentally" push a button on the transmitter up to 256 times and it would be okay -- the receiver would still accept the transmission and perform the requested function. However, if you accidentally push the button 257 times, the receiver will totally ignore your transmitter. It won't work anymore.
-code capturing will not work with a rolling code transmitter like this. Older garage door transmitters sent the same 8-bit code based on the pattern set on the DIP switches. Someone could capture the code with a radio scanner and easily re-transmit it to open the door. With a rolling code, capturing the transmission is useless. There is no way to predict which random number the transmitter and receiver have chosen to use as the next code, so re-transmitting the captured code has no effect. With trillions of possibilities, there is also no way to scan through all the codes because it would take years to do that.

Copied from HowStuffWorks.com

I don't think the XJ uses rolling code technology, does it?
Either way, if a theif was going to steal your Jeep and had grabbed an invalid code, I don't think he'd stop and say "Hey this isn't working, lets get outta here". I'm sure they'd just pop a window and get on with it.

The main reason I brought it up was I've seen remotes sold on eBay and thought I could easily program it that way without going to the dealership. I already know if they want it, they'll take it... I live in Fresno which has one of the highest stolen car rates in the U.S. Fortunately, the Cherokee is not in the top 10 stolen cars here (although it is in other states). Mostly they steal Hondas, Toyotas, and Camaros here.

When you get a remote off EBay you still have to have a dealer program it regardless what the seller is trying to tell you. It's not the remote that gets the programing, it's the vehicle.

You can also take the VIN # off the dash and take that number down to the Jeep dealer and they will make you a key. No breaking of window needed for those lazy thieves. Know for fact on my 2001 Cherokee, as had one made using VIN# only!

Tim in MT

Back