• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Franken muffler

Bloose

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I finally replaced my beat and rusted factory muffler. It amazingly lasted 130K miles of winter driving and rock crawling.

When I started thinking about replacing it I wanted something compact and strong. I was going to going to do a welded style oval muffler as it would hold up to the abuse much better than a standard muffler. There were two issues though. First there was the fact that it would be around the same size as the stock muffler. It would also be prone to hanging up on rocks and possibly getting ripped off. The second is they are way out of line on price! $90 for a Flowmaster! SO what I settled on was a Dyno Max bullet muffler. It is only 4" in diameter! Plus there are no abrupt edges to catch on rocks. Add to that a very strong case and they only cost $35 and I think it is a great muffler for a rig that sees trail use.

Upon receiving the muffler I was very worried about the sound of it. It is really small and it is a straight through muffler with a perforated core. Unlike a "glass pack" the core is perforated and not louvered, but I was unsure what to expect.

The muffler has a 2.5" inlet and outlet and is straight. To use it in the Cherokee it had to be offset and reduced to 2.25 inches. I did that by cutting a 5* angle on the inlet and outlet (opposing angles) and cutting a 5* angle on the 2.5" ID side of a 2.5" pipe (the pipe had a 2.5" ID to 2.5" OD transition. I butt welded the pipe to the muffler and this gave me the offset I needed. I then cut the pipes to the appropriate length and welded a 2.5" to 2.25" reducer the 2.5" pipe. I welded the TP to the muffler assembly and clamped the whole shebang to the cat. Now I have a super compact muffler in place of the stock behemoth.

What about the noise? Amazingly quite! It has the typical aftermarket muffler sound that the Cherokee's have but it is actually quieter than a lot of them I have heard. No obnoxious rapping on decel and plenty quite! I thought some may be interested in a quite, compact, and cheap muffler for their Cherokee.

Here is a link to some pics,

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bloose2/detail?.dir=/6baf&.dnm=f00e.jpg&.src=ph

B-loose

I just picked up a good used Flowmaster from a buddy :) I tucked it up pretty tight and I ran 2" pipe to help keep my backpressure in check and save a little bit of low end torque. I'm still gonna trim about another inch or so off of the end of the tailpipe....but I'm really pleased with how it performs, sounds and looks. That was a good deal on the one you found and if I hadn't found this used muffler....I might of gone the way you did with yours.

803060_69_full.jpg

803060_72_full.jpg

OH YEA......I always go back and shoot some high-heat primer on all the welds on the Flowmaster's casing and any other welds throughout my exhaust system....It really helps in making everything last longer...and it keeps the rust at bay alot longer.
Aron

I just installed "Cherry bomb turbo muffler. It sounds great nice low end mellow tone/ rumbble. Great not that lot compared to others yet really helped my gas milege on my trip to school iam ussaly down to a quater now iam half way between a quarter and a half and that was me going faster than normal.

Chris

when it came time on my jeep i just replaced the muffler with pipe and a echo tip.. i knoticed a lil loss in torque but it did seem to pep up the top end and the noise is not to terrible but then again i dont drive mine alot in town mine is just a off road toy

Back