• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Steering

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
Well HERES a link to some pics of my new steering setup. Its a WJ brake conversion using 1-ton TRE's with linkage from Parts Mike. The TRE's are almost too big to be so close together on the passenger side knuckle but it came out ok. It took me a while to piece it all together but all in all I am happy with it and also glad I stepped up to a 16" rim.

-Mike

BrettM said:
oh, and I hear mall crawlin is even easier with inner axles :)

Thanks, doing the swap and starting at around 9pm didn't really allow me the time to assemble everything with the new unitbearings and then loosen the 36mm nut. I would've had to pull the whole thing back apart to get the stock outers back out and then install my chromoley inner and outers that I've been running for a couple years. This way since I have them out of the rig I can install a new set of joints.

-Mike

thats just what i want to do. you'll have to send me a pm and let me know just how you did it. and how well it works. is that the jks oab? what ends did you use all passanger side? looks great love to hear back so i can use it for when i do mine

Jeepin Jason said:
Looks good, are you planning to run a swaybar?

Unless JKS changed the design since I got my mine, that's not the OAB.

I haven't run a front sway bar on my rig in at least 2-3 years.

The bracket is the OAB. I got mine from Mark before he sold the stuff to JKS. I don't know if JKS changed upon the design or if Mark did after I got the one from him. WHat is the difference between yours and mine?

-Mike

Slightly different shape where it connects to the axle tube, and two holes for alternate trackbar mounting heights.

100_0280.JPG

I had to cut part of the lower edge off to fit around that UCA bracket, so the shape isn't exactly what it looks like.

Yeah I had to cut that part also. The bracket looks the same as mine escept that yours is taller and has the 2 mounting holes. Looks good with the sway bar links.

-Mike

:D I stole the idea for the cut gusset from Mark actually. The draglink may catch on the tab though on right turns with the axle drooped, I need to talk to Mark about his setup because mine is done just like his (except all my brackets are raised up 2"). I think I'll have to bolt it up and cycle it to know for sure though.

My problem is that when turned to the right the tie rod hits the front of the bracket. I will need to trim it and radius it back. It just never ends.

-Mike

I'll go ahead and save Mike L the trouble, here what I got from him in my PM, some good info.

"I don't really remember how much the WJ stuff ran me as I would gather parts here and there. As for the new 16's and the tires, I needed new tires anyway and figured I could use the extra clearance anyway instead of having to grind down the caliper.

As for the fab, I had a buddy weld up the over axle bracket and track bar for me but the rest weas pretty much bolt on. The WJ uses the standard size tre's like the XJ. I reamed out the knuckles to use the bigger 1-ton tre's. The tre's and linkage I got from Parts Mike.

You will need to get the knuckles, spacers, 00 and hub unitebearings, wj rotors redrilled to 5 on 4.5, etc. Its a pretty big deal to get all the parts and have them come together nicely. This was the first one I saw with the 1 ton tre's. All I can say is those ends are huge and there isn't a whole lot of room between the rotor and tre. I didn't measure but it seemed to be between 1/8" and 1/4"."

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Do you have the P/N or applicaion for the TRE? I have already done the Hi-steer part. but my draglink is so weak to handle the rockram cylinder. I can't find the right parts to do this.

Thanks
Dingo

Back