• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shopping for a xj

sandaholic

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all I am a newbie to this board but not to the 4x4 experience.I am currently shopping for a xj for the purpose of my family to enjoy the off road experience with me.Any tips or suggestions would be greatfull.Such as are there any year or motor or axles to avoid?It will mainly be used for the sand dunes and mud cause there arent any rocks to speak of hear in michigan.Thank's in advance for the help.

If you're okay with a fixer uper, I love my '91. I've had two of the same year, loved the old one, and love the hell outta this one. Plus, it's the year they put the high output engine into 'em, so it's a little more powerful than the older ones, and will come at practically just as good of a price. I got mine in the roughed up condition it was in for 350 bucks and went to work from there. Have fun, and good luck!

Andy

I love my 99. Mine's just about to hit 64K, and XJ's are well known for having high milage on them, so that was a good buy. I did have a few minor things go wrong, like the turn signal switch, and my t-case has a small, yet annoying leak in it, but other than that, it's been pretty darn solid.

My personal preference is a 97 or later. I like the last generation XJ body styles alot, especially the interior.

If you can find one with somewhat average miles, that appears to be taken care of, go for it. You will not regret it.

thanks for the tip's everyone.I have been shopping for lift kits at the same time does anyone know how to tell what the axle codes are?Or just how to tell what axle width in order for the proper lift kit???

If you are fond of the 97+ then I personly would chose a 99. The 2000 have a low pinion D30 front axle that may cause some probiblems when lifting. The later year 2000's also have precats on the manafold that can be a PIA if you decide to get a header. Also there was some computer changes for the 2000 that make it pickier to 97-99 junkyard parts. On the up side however they did go to a coil on plug ignition for the 00-01 years, and they supposidly changer the exaust manafold to be not as crack prone. The 99 have a newer desine intake that is a little better. The high pinion D30 (reverse cut?) that the earlier years have. Try to get a corporate 8.25 (I belive almost all antilock break equipped have the D35) rear. It is stronger than the D35, but it seams not to have as many traction aids for it. Usually if you find one with tow hooks it has all the other skids too.

Back