• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna mounting

XJ Bebop

NAXJA Forum User
I stopped by the 'Mud Shack' (a local CB radio shop w/ a very good reputation) to upgrade my CB & antenna from the cheesy magnet mount I've got. The salesman there recommended a ROOF MOUNT like what the CHP uses, which would require me to drill a 3/4" hole in the roof of my XJ, and then attaching a very flexible stainless steel whip (about 4-5' long). I expected to set up a fiberglass 'stick' off the rear bumper/spare tire rack like I see everyone else running, but he insisted that this was better for the Cherokee.
I'd like to hear some other opinions/experiences before I drill through my roof. I'll do that if it's worth it...

thnx -bd-

Mounting the antenna right in the middle of the roof would give you a nice fat ground plane and good overall antenna performance, but I wouldn't do it. Just stick with the tire carrier mount rather that put a tree grabber as high as possible mounted to a piece of sheet metal. IMO that is.

If you do the tire rack mount, make sure you run a nice ground wire from the antenna mount to the body. some racks have nice insulted nylon bushings to give you a crappy signal.

just remember, only the portion of the antenna that is above your roof will throw a signal....the higher the better...I have a mag-mount that works judt fine, I have never had it come off on the trail....

Dr. Jones said:
Mounting the antenna right in the middle of the roof would give you a nice fat ground plane and good overall antenna performance,
That is exactly why the CB shop suggested the center of the roof mount. CB antennas are a ground plane antenna and don't work well without a surface area under them. BUT, if you are only planning on using it on the trail and don't need to get more than a 1/4 to 1/2 mile range then the tire carrier, rear light mount will work just fine. You could go with a mag mount, you will get better range but its kind or a pain to run the cable every time and it gets caught on trees sometimes. Another thing to consider is who you will be talking to and how much range they have. It doesn't help that much to be the "big boy" that can reach way out if the people you want to talk to can't get more than a few blocks away. Personally I have the center roof mount with a very nice CB in one rig and a cheapo Radio Shack CB with a fairly cheap mag mount on the other.

Ron
00 XJ
87 XJ

yup, I agree with these guys, one thing you might want to consider, when the antenna is 5 ft above your xj and it is hard mounted to your xj and you go under a tree, it could rip it out and give you a very big hole in your roof. Like they said if it is for trail use, go with the bumper mount, if you want to talk long range to truckers go with what was suggested.

All those cheapo Radio Shack CB's are just rebadged Cobra CB's. Same company makes them, there still good.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian

davidt said:
yup, I agree with these guys, one thing you might want to consider, when the antenna is 5 ft above your xj and it is hard mounted to your xj and you go under a tree, it could rip it out and give you a very big hole in your roof. Like they said if it is for trail use, go with the bumper mount, if you want to talk long range to truckers go with what was suggested.

FWIW: I run mine through the center of the roof and it works great. I've run it that way for years and smacked the antenna on a lot of trees without any damage to the roof. In fact, I've forgotten to take it off when I go into parking garages and smacked it very hard without damage. I run the Wilson 1000 which has a threaded connection and threaded cover so you can remove it and protect the connection.

SARgroundpounder said:
FWIW: I run mine through the center of the roof and it works great. I've run it that way for years and smacked the antenna on a lot of trees without any damage to the roof. In fact, I've forgotten to take it off when I go into parking garages and smacked it very hard without damage. I run the Wilson 1000 which has a threaded connection and threaded cover so you can remove it and protect the connection.
sweet, do you have any pictures of it?

I do the same thing. My used 92 came with the hole! All I did was fill it and it is amazing how much abuse it will take. The whips are replaceable.

i did mine off the back.

truckin051.jpg

I put mine in the middle of the roof. I removed my center console and got to the underside of roof from there. You could do the same from the dome light. I ran the cable between the roof and the headliner then down behind the plastic at the doors. Just be sure to use a spring. Check out www.firestik.com for lots of info and mounting ideas. A 2-3 foot tall antenna is enough for the trail. Click on the link and you can see the antenna.
http://www.fototime.com/2F83056B571B980/standard.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

davidt said:
sweet, do you have any pictures of it?

I don't have any GOOD photos of it. Here's the best I could muster. In the center of the roof you will see a black Dixie-cup sized thing. That is the mount of the antenna. It unscrews and then I have a small plastic cover the thickness of a couple of poker chips that screws on to protect the connector. The antenna is about 4 ft high.

46a1.jpg

XJ Bebop: I had a 2' Firestick fiberglass antenna mounted to the bed near the cab of my old truck and it rose above the cab about 8" or so. The reception was decent and I wanted something I didn't have to take on and off all the time. After a few years, I bought a Wilson 1000 roof top mount, cut a 3/4" hole in the center of the roof, and got much better range out of my CB. These results are quantifiable, but enough that I will be drilling a hole in the roof of my XJ as soon as I finish reading this post to find out where others are drilling!

...if this link works, you'll be able to see what I ended up doing...
http://www.justruns.com/gallery/album187

Got to try this out last weekend and it worked great! I was reaching the end of our group loud and clear, and that was down in winding canyons. No extra holes in the roof, the mast only extends about a foot above the roofline, flexes away from any impacts, and when I get home, I can take it off until the next run. This works very well for my needs.
Thanks for all the great input! -bd-

Back