• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Peugot Tranny

MJ1990buildup

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting my hands on an 87 MJ and it has this tranny, 5 speed. I will be running 35's and 44's front and rear and i am wondering if i am just going to break this tranny(I am not exactly easy on the skinny pedal....) I have an aw4 i could swap in, but i'd really like to keep it a 5 speed. I don't really have the money to swap in an ax-15.
Who wheels with this tranny? Has it held up?
TIA

MJ1990buildup said:
I am getting my hands on an 87 MJ and it has this tranny, 5 speed. I will be running 35's and 44's front and rear and i am wondering if i am just going to break this tranny(I am not exactly easy on the skinny pedal....) I have an aw4 i could swap in, but i'd really like to keep it a 5 speed. I don't really have the money to swap in an ax-15.
Who wheels with this tranny? Has it held up?
TIA

I'd recommend you check this thread from a few weeks ago. Seems like everyone has a slightly different opinion on the subject.

The BA 10/5 is considered a light-duty transmission. It is probably about equal in strength to the AX-5 (not AX-15) used with the 4-cylinder engine. With large tires and if you are not light on the gas peddle, I think you're going to have problems. Go for the AW4.

casm said:
I'd recommend you check this thread from a few weeks ago. Seems like everyone has a slightly different opinion on the subject.

I actually already did read this thread. I also have owned a 2wd MJ that had an ax-4 and it did hold up pretty well even though i was 16 and drove it like a racecar. That thread did seem to tell if anyone had actually broke a tranny while wheeling. I may end up going the AW4 route

Any one else?

I had one in an 88 YJ and the thing started making so much noise that the kids in my apartment complex started making fun of me when I drove by! I think I contributed to it's demise by not using the correct oil. I used regular 90wt gear oil instead of the synthetic stuff that is called for. So I ended up getting another one from a junk yard and swapping it out. Worked OK for the rest of the time I had the jeep but was starting to get loose like the old one when I traded the jeep in.

Back