• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joint breakage with d30, 27 spline 8.25 with 33's?

93xj-jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,

had a question I was hoping you could help me out with. I searched the forums pretty good with not awesome results so I decided to post.

I got a 93 DD with the 27 spline 8.25 and obviously d30 but not positive what u-joints (non abs). I got them at napa (the hd ones?). I currently have 31s, no lockers, and stock gears.

I am thinking about moving up to 33's, 4.56, and probably front and rear lockers (lock-rights probably). So my question is basically do you think the 8.25 will hold up and also how often am I going to go through u-joints up front.

Also, is there a better a stronger alternative to my u-joints up front without having to fork over a ton of cash. I believe from previous posts I found that I dont have the 297x shafts that can be converted to the 760x. Is that right?

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I need to get this figured out. By the way the wheeling I do is mostly rutted out trails with some rocks and lots of roots, etc. in Washington (definately not straight up rock crawling).

Personally I have a '98 with a D30 up front and a 8.25 in the rear. I run ARB's front and rear and 4.56 gears. I have been wheeling this thing since it was new. I was on 32's for quite a while and have been on 33's for about 2 years. In that time I have broken one D30 DS shaft. Actually it was the joint that broke but it took out the inner and outer shaft AND busted the upper balljoint AND pulled out the lower ball joint!!!

The thing is though, I have the 297 joints in the D30 and 29 spline shafts in the 8.25. I would recommend both for you. If your changing the diffs anyway your only a set of junk yard shafts from a 29 spline 8.25. From the same late model XJ (I think '97 and newer) you can pull the 297 D30 shafts. Or you can buy new Dana shafts for around $120 each. Not a bad deal when you consider you get the inner shaft the outer shaft and new u-joints all put together at the factory! Then keep your 260 shafts for trail spares.

I think when all is said and done you could have some JY shafts front and rear for well under $300. Both of those would be upgrades well worth their price.

HTH,
B-loose

Selectable lockers are the way to go!
Yes your Axles will handle 33"s with no problem.
I have been running 35"s on a stock D30 and haven't had a problem yet. AND yes I put it to the test. Just make sure you install good u-joints and you should be fine. (I use Spicer Joints!) I also like the idea of having spare parts with you!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your replys so far guys.

richdaman-what spicer ujoints up front are you using. Somebody help me out on this. Didnt xjs with abs and non-abs come with different size u joints (meaning axle will only taken up to a certain size). just not positive on that.

if so with my 93 non-abs i dont think i can get the spicer 760x right? if not what do you guys recommend? thanks a lot.

ECKSJAY said:
Or you guys could find the answer using our handy search feature. :)
NO! dont say that or people will yell at you for being rude

B-loose is right on the money. I wouldn't do what you're wanting to do without upgrading the 297/760 front axle shafts and joints and the 29-spline rear axle shafts.

Generally speaking, ABS-equipped XJ's came with the larger 297x ujoint shafts, and all '97+ XJ's came with them, regardless of ABS or not. All TJ's come with them too.

Getting/using the larger u-joints is simply a matter of getting the new axle shafts that use those joints. You can get brand new complete assemblies (inner, outer, and joint) for under $120 per side. Or hit up a junk yard and look for late model XJ's and/or TJ's.

Keep in mind that when a joint breaks, it usually takes out one or both shafts with it, so just carrying spare joints probably won't do you much good.

Jeepin Jason said:
Generally speaking, ABS-equipped XJ's came with the larger 297x ujoint shafts, and all '97+ XJ's came with them, regardless of ABS or not. All TJ's come with them too.
Actually it's 95+ or something like that for the 297 joints on non abs vehicles.

Richdaman said:
(License Plate)
"IF YOU CAN'T STOP, SMILE AS YOU GO UNDER!"

90 XJ 4.0L I6 Auto
11" Lift, Rustys Longarm Kit, OTK Steering, 4.56 Gears, D30/Ford 8.8, Eaton E-Locker (rear), K&N Cold Air Intake, 35X12.50 BFG MT KM's on Eagle Alloy 15X10's, 6-States Driveshaft, Cracked Windshield, tree damage, oxidation...
Inland Northwest Adventures.com
ELKWA02052005-JUMP.jpg

What is up with this little ad you are posting everytime??????

kubtastic said:
its a wannabe signature, seeing as non-members dont get sigs (as far as i can tell)

Yeah, that's probably it. Just one of the perks of membership I guess (having a sig that is :laugh3: )

edit: 93xj-jeeper, they're OEM replacement shafts and joints, the benefit is they use the 297x size joints, vs the older stock shafts with the small 260x joints. see the last link in my sig for the other part, and they're available from a number of other places as well.

Last edited:
Jason,

My dad has a connection for Dana parts from a HD truck driveline rebuilder. If your interested in new spicer 297 shafts PM me and I'll have him get you a price (no profit to me at all).

B-loose

Cool, thanks all for your help. I'll probably just go ahead and try to convert to the 29 spline for my 8.25 and get some new shafts for the d30 with the larger 297 joints then.

So.....if I am regearing and having all that done at a shop....all i would have to do then is supply them with the 29 spline shafts (from a junkyard probably) and they would be able to swap them out with the 27s??

Thanks again all. Jake

Back