• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My BUMPER BUILD-UP on my XJ

BigDawgz

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I'd share with you guys my bumper build-up on my XJ.
Here's a little picture/write-up about it on car-domain:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/803060/3

It's mainly built out of 2" x 4" rectangular tubing with 1/2" diamond plate steel frame brackets that include and go past the 3 original bumper mount bolts on each side (upgraded to grade#8's) by about 8" to 10"s. We also tacked the very back edge and top and bottom with about a 2" weld on each. I also used 2" receiver steel that I had lying around that was a whopping 3/8" thick for my future winch mounting. I topped it off with a lighter 1/8" thick diamond plate for the very top surface. My buddy Mark helped me with this project and we had a good time building it.

I'm also gonna finish the driver's side by extending the 1/2" diamond plate brackets that I made.....down to incorporate my steering box bolts. other than that....I'm pretty much done. I wanted my bumper to extend out far enough to tuck my roller-fairlead back about a 1/2" to 3/4" from the bumpers surface for protection.

The D-rings are 20,000lb rated ones and I ground the bumper out and beveled the brackets and we basically did what's similar to a "triple-weave" with the last passes being made with a 7014 rod for more strength. We also had a KILLER blue penetration ring completely around these with each pass. I think they'll hold up without any problems at all...we've done this kind of set-up before and they've never moved. Even after ramming them into anything and everything and pulling out some stuff that was a little bit too heavy for us...LOL.

It might be too deep for some people's tastes but that's just the way that I wanted it....I'm running 35"s and plan to go up to 37"s so I'm not too worried about my approach angles...You'd have to basically rip the whole front of the XJ off to hurt this bumper. We're gonna call it a "BULLETPROOF FABRICATIONS" built bumper...LOL! I'm also gonna eventually add a built in skid plate to tie into a factory front skid....and I might add a Stinger to it too....after I get me a good tubing bender.

After I primered it..I finished it all off with KRYLON HAMMERED BLACK...spray paint. I love the way it looks and it has plenty of protection for my lights/future winch.

Any opinions/constructive criticisms are welcome......

Thanks for looking
Aron

Nice card table/Bar. Looks beefy, but I'm worried about torsional stresses from a sideways pull. Long bumper=long lever.

Take from this what you may.

csudman said:
man, you killed your aproach angle.

x2

hows that diving board up front working out?

-Ranger

XJ_ranger said:
x2

hows that diving board up front working out?

-Ranger

LOL...just fine for me...I like it that way...besides..there's hardly any rocks here in INDIANA...and I can just plow my way through whatever I've encountered due to a loss of approach angle...LOL. I've been wheeling Full-sized rigs for years around here...so this is still WAY better angles than what I'm used to.
Aron

MudslinginXJ said:
Just curious as to why you have it sticking out so far. Any future plans for a winch? Looks good though:laugh3:

Yea...I made it with the installation of a winch in mind. I was wanting my roller fairlead to sit back about a 1/2" to 3/4" of an inch from the bumper's surface. That's why I made it like I did. I won't have to cut my grill out or do anything like that.
Aron

i think it's cool, after wheelin, you and your buddy's can eat lunch off it.:laugh3:

Looks beefy, would work well at a drive in movie in summer and a deer stand in winter...If it works for you thats great, wish I had the tools and place to work to attempt something like that...

If I took my lights back off I could throw me a sleeping bag up there and camp out too...but it's all in what ya like.....DIFF'RENT STROKES....ya know the rest.
I figure...what the heck...if it doesn't work out...I can VERY easily cut it down and re-weld it. It's nice to have a couple of nice welders and torches/tools to be able to change/modify it again. If I run into too many things with it...I'll just take 6" or 8"'s out of it...and try again! The hard part is now done...I just have to finish by using/testing it.
Aron

Last edited:
I do hunt....by the way...Bow and Muzzloader. Hey I wish I still had my bird-dogs...this thing would've been perfect for tooling through the brushy undergrowth.
Maybe I should look into doing some guiding?
Seriously though...most of the guys that I wheel with are all running 33's so I'm sure that I'll be just fine. Also...my frontend is presently sitting 2"s lower than my rear-end. I'm getting ready to yank my RE 4.5" coils and my 2" spacers and I'm gonna put in a set of 8" skyjacker coils. This will match my rear which now has 6" leafs and 2" hangers. I have to change my control arms too while I'm at it...so I may go LongArm as well.

Aron

Last edited:
calvin andrus said:
hahahaha, "diving board" hahaha....great compairison xj ranger

It doesn't hurt me too bad...like I said...I'm running 35"s...and going up to 37"s... When you're that HIGH....your angles don't matter quite as much...because your height compensates for the loss of approach.

Aron

DUDE... someone can sit on your hood and rest their feet on your bumper for support while your driving down the trail :laugh3:
lol nice and clean.. but ya.. as everyone said before.... approach... angle..... killed

I don't know, I run 36's with the front axle pushed forward. I love my front aproach angle but I still hit my rear bumper on drop offs and my unibody is tweaked because of it. If you back off of a ledge and land on that you could have a problem with the front bending up at the "crumple zone".

I have 4 - 2" square steel box tubes in the place of where the rockers were...plus I'm adding more support along the length of the unibody. I think this'll probably do the trick for keeping the unibody from tweaking too much. HOPEFULLY...LOL.
Aron

Last edited:
Back