• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hub/Bearing unit question

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like I will need to change out my passenger side hub bearing assembly on my '90 D30 disco. Is the axle shaft diameter thats go through the hub bearing the same for all years? Just wondering incase I later want to upgrade my piss-ant 260 shafts/joints to a 297 and if can still use the stock hub bearing assembly that Im about to spend $139 on.

Timken hub bearing assembly at Autozone $139.. Any comment on Timken as well?

You should be able to use the 297 shafts/joints with no trouble.

Yes the axle stubs are the same spline count for all years (XJ/YJ/TJ) but the hubs and rotors had some different offsets through the years. If you are replacing with new, just keep those parts together within the corresponding years.

was this the correct autozone part number: 513084

Im lookin for the wheel bearing / hub assembly for a 99xj.

I'm assuming I have the composite rotor.

dakotus said:
ok good. that should fit my 99 then too im assuming.

thanks!!

Probably not,as youve already read in the "old" post that there are at least 3 different combo's.

dakotus said:
ok good. that should fit my 99 then too im assuming.

thanks!!
Faulty assumption.

1999 was a transition year. They changed from composite rotors to all cast, one-piece rotors mid-year in 1999, and they don't use the same hub/bearing unit. You will need to take your VIN number to a dealer to determine which parts you need. They can tell you if you have the early style (in which case for future reference you would order parts for a 98) or the new style (in which case for future reference you would order parts to fit a 2000).

Eagle said:
Faulty assumption.

1999 was a transition year. They changed from composite rotors to all cast, one-piece rotors mid-year in 1999, and they don't use the same hub/bearing unit. You will need to take your VIN number to a dealer to determine which parts you need. They can tell you if you have the early style (in which case for future reference you would order parts for a 98) or the new style (in which case for future reference you would order parts to fit a 2000).
autozone is showing the full cast as costing $329!!!!
and the composite as $139.

I pray that I have the composite

Eagle said:
They changed... mid-year in 1999, and they don't use the same ...

I'm starting to wonder if D/C didn't make a mistake on documenting the mid-99 changes. It almost seems like they made these changes to vehicles made in 99 but were actually 2000 model year vehicles.

My XJ was built in June of 99, so I'm assuming Toledo was towards the end of producting that model year - every part I've ever bought for it was for a '98 (after research on some pieces like hubs)

I've not seen or talked to a single 99 owner that had any of the following "changes" I've been hearing about for the past few years:

Cast Rotors/TJ hubs
Intake manifold
Exhaust Manifold
LP 30
Distributorless Ignition

Not a rant or an attempt to call SPOBI, but I'd like to look over a '99 XJ with the changes D/C claims to have made for that model year. I haven't seen any but 2000+ that have the cast rotors, etc.

It's definitely a package change, and my feeling is that they may have slapped it on a few '99s, but not likely midway through the production year.

:dunno:

Prob is with all the cheapos ie, vatozone, carquest is that they are 1 maybe 2 yr warranties. I ponied up the extra $75 ($215 out the door) and got the napa ones that have a lifetime warranty. Running 35's and having ball joints on the d30, id recommend them.

Well I bought the correct hub, I looked on the inner seal of the drivers door, and it said manufacture date 4/99. So i went to autozone and got the older style hub, and it fit perfect. loosening the old nuts was another story....

dakotus said:
Well I bought the correct hub, I looked on the inner seal of the drivers door, and it said manufacture date 4/99. So i went to autozone and got the older style hub, and it fit perfect. loosening the old nuts was another story....

Did you look at and understand the rotor type? Was it obvious that you had composite?

Two posts and PM to me here, one post on JU, and you decided to hunt down the build date instead of looking at the rotor to begin with? :twak:

XJack said:
Did you look at and understand the rotor type? Was it obvious that you had composite?

Two posts and PM to me here, one post on JU, and you decided to hunt down the build date instead of looking at the rotor to begin with? :twak:
YUP! and it worked. thats what counts in the end

Back