• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a Dana 44 work on a 2001 XJ with ABS?

xjaholic

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at buying a Dana 44 for my 2001 and am curious if it will fit with the 4 wheel ABS brakes. I have read somewhere that it won't, but have seen descriptions with newer XJ's that have D44's.

xjaholic said:
I am looking at buying a Dana 44 for my 2001 and am curious if it will fit with the 4 wheel ABS brakes. I have read somewhere that it won't, but have seen descriptions with newer XJ's that have D44's.

The axle will fit, but you'll lose the ABS as the wheel sensors won't transfer directly over from your D35 to the D44. I'll be a very happy camper if someone figures out how to do this as I'd like to upgrade axles but retain ABS.

i did this mod.. took out the abs.. never looked back.. feel in more control, on and off-road

A few questions on that...is it illegal to remove the ABS. If you remove the rear ABS, does the front still work? Too bad there isn't a conversion kit for this somewhere. Thanks for the help again!

I've never had to deal with that because I have a '90 but a friend of mine had a '97 TJ and was in the same predicament. He said the only way he'd be able to upgrade to a D44 is to go with a Dynatrac built one as they have the equipment/knowledge to maintain the ABS on the new axle. He was mostly worried about the liability of disconnecting the ABS if he was to get in an accident where "ABS would have prevented it" so thats why he didn't go to the wreckage yard.
In the end he didn't have to make the decision to fork out the big dough or disconnect because he had to sell the TJ to free up some money for his wife and 2 kids while he is over in IRAQ. :us:

There is a post in here somewhere over the last week about putting the abs on a new axle by moving the tone rings over and going with larger ZJ bolts ? Might have been an 8.25 though. I don't think the 8.25's came with or could be ordered with abs, at least in 97 and 98. Something like that. I know that if you ordered a TJ with the D44 and LSD it nullified the abs in the package if it was part of it. The action of the lsd or a locker and abs would counteract each other...I'm not an abs fan either, wifes olds has it and it freaks me out sometimes, was crossing a long steel mesh bridge in CT near sikorsky aircraft and had to stop. Damn near spun the car and was sideways when friction finally stopped it.

Doesn't the Ford 8.8 have ABS? I'm fairly sure if you get one that has the tone rings on the axles, you can make your Jeep sensors fit. I might be wrong though. Hopefully someone "in the know" will post up and clear this up.

Back