• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

busted r&p

cjohnson

NAXJA Forum User
I'm pretty sure I broke some of the teeth in my D30 R&P this weekend. Everything seems to work, but when I'm coasting realy slowly I can hear what sounds like little parts crunching around. I may not be able to fix this right away--am I doing any damage by driving on the road in 2wd (the front ds still spins in 2wd)? I don't want to hurt the ARB or anything more expensive than a new R&P.

thanks!

cjohnson said:
I'm pretty sure I broke some of the teeth in my D30 R&P this weekend. Everything seems to work, but when I'm coasting realy slowly I can hear what sounds like little parts crunching around. I may not be able to fix this right away--am I doing any damage by driving on the road in 2wd (the front ds still spins in 2wd)? I don't want to hurt the ARB or anything more expensive than a new R&P.

thanks!
If you can hear crunching...STOP! :gag:
Unless you have manual hubs and can disconnect the front gears, they WILL continue to turn and chew up things..
An ARB is a terrible thing to waste... :laugh3:

witt said:
remove outer axleshafts.... that will stop the internals from spinning... you could remove the axleshafts entirely... but you will loose diff fluid.... it will be sloshing about and ooze out the tubes... but since nothings spinning.... it wont hurt anything.... just dont go in water...
O and fix this ASAP
I might be wrong, but don't you need to leave the outer stubs in so that your wheel stays where it's supposed to be? as in on the axle?

witt said:
remove outer axleshafts.... that will stop the internals from spinning... you could remove the axleshafts entirely... but you will loose diff fluid.... it will be sloshing about and ooze out the tubes... but since nothings spinning.... it wont hurt anything.... just dont go in water...
O and fix this ASAP

Uh, very bad idea. Removing the outers will cause the wheel bearings to fall apart.

Take the diff cover off and see what is going on in there. If the ring or pinion is busted up, remove the carrier and get the ring gear off of there. Then remove the driveshaft so the pinion doesn't spin with no oil splashing on the bearings.

CRASH

witt said:
O and fix this ASAP
SPOBI alert!
On a Dana 30 (without a hub kit), you CAN'T remove the outer shafts and drive it. The outer shaft holds the unit bearing together, and the assembly WILL come apart without the shaft there. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
You CAN remove the inner shaft if you want to seperate them at the u-joint, but DON'T try driving without the outer shaft in place in the unit bearing. The results are UGLY! :repair:

CRASH said:
Uh, very bad idea. Removing the outers will cause the wheel bearings to fall apart.

Take the diff cover off and see what is going on in there. If the ring or pinion is busted up, remove the carrier and get the ring gear off of there. Then remove the driveshaft so the pinion doesn't spin with no oil splashing on the bearings.

CRASH

if the ring gear is removed, what is going to be causing the pinion to spin? (assuming he's driving in 2wd).

Sounds like the $40 to have it towed to the shop would be cheaper than replacing the ARB by trying to rig it or drive it--assuming I haven't already chewed up the o-rings and stuff...I'm crossing my fingers on this one!

And here I thought busting out my taillight was the worst I came away with on Saturday!

how does an R and P break?

I'm a newbie. Only thing I've beaten up off road is an HMMWV and an M1 tank. So I have no idea.

(If you care to share the circumstances, if not, it's cool.)

Sorry for your loss.

Jeepin Jason said:
if the ring gear is removed, what is going to be causing the pinion to spin? (assuming he's driving in 2wd).

The 231 will spin a bit just from internal friction, not much, but over a long period, it might be enough to score the bearings. I thought he wasn't planning on fixing it ASAP, but now I see it's headed for the shop, so no need to pull the front shaft for that.

The best thing to do is get a bucket and put it under the dif and pull the cover. Check for chunks in the bottom of the housing and rotate the ring gear to see if there are any busted teeth or other visible issues. You might have just hosed a axle ujoint and it is grumbling. Those are a lot less serious, but take a look before doing ANY miles on the road.

CRASH said:
The 231 will spin a bit just from internal friction, not much, but over a long period, it might be enough to score the bearings. I thought he wasn't planning on fixing it ASAP, but now I see it's headed for the shop, so no need to pull the front shaft for that.

Hmm, then that could explain why even with my Warn hubs, the front driveshaft is sometimes at a different rotation vs the last time I looked at it. It never did it with my old D44 front, but the guts of the D44 might have had more resistance to them than the D30 does.

probable cause is the belleville springs and bolts from ARB
came loose and now are on bottom of diff. housing
long term fix is to truss D30 housing and use NEW bolts and
belleville washers with red locktite
short term repair is to pull front driveshaft and diff cover, pull the
three 13mm bolts that front hubs on, pull hubs and axles out to
remove carrier. re-install hubs and axle shafts.
long-term spare parts list includes front hubs from 2wd (xj/mj)
because ARBs and D30 don't get along because of the axle housing
flex

Back