• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chassis lubrication points?

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished searching high and low for all of the chassis lubrication points on my '00 and '88 XJ Cherokees. I'm not sure if I got them all and my old Chilton manual doesn't tell me much. Can you all please review the list below and let me know what I missed?

'00 XJ 4x4, 4.0, auto, command trac:

1. upper ball joints on both sides: greased
2. lower ball joints on both sides: appear to not be serviceable
3. tie rod ends: greased
4. idler arm: greased
5. parking brake: not greased, ran out of time, had to fix the radiator in my '88
6. no grease fitting on either drive shaft

Occasionally I get a squeak when making tight turns while actively turning the wheel. The squeak seems to be coming from somewhere near the firewall, but I could be wrong. I noticed a seal where the steering shaft penetrates the firewall but it did not appear to be able to accept lubricant. Has anyone else experienced this?

'88 XJ 4x4, 4.0, auto, command trac:

1. upper ball joints on both sides: greased
2. lower ball joints on both sides: appear to not be serviceable
3. tie rod ends: greased
4. idler arm: greased
5. parking brake: not greased, ran out of time, had to fix the radiator
6. rear drive shaft u-joints: greased
7. front drive shaft u-joints: greased the one at the t-case, I could not get the grease gun "adapter" over the fitting on the u-joint at the axle. Is there a trick to that one? Do you have to disconnect the shaft?

So, what did I miss? I'm sure there's something but I certainly couldn't find any more lube fittings.

Is there a way to grease the joints in the steering shaft on either vehicle?

Thanks guys.

Brian

P.S. The radiator developed a pin hole when a band surrounding it just in front of the mechanical fan broke. The fan forced it against the radiator at some point and then the vibration wore the hole in the rad. I don't have time to replace the radiator until the weekend so I patched the hole up w/ JB-Weld putty. Seems to be holding up so far. She ran up to operating temp w/ no indication of leakage. I've got my fingers crossed.....

Some years of XJ's also have a grease fitting on the frame end of the trac bar making for a total of 7 on the front end with the drag link, tie rod & uppers.
Don't forget to check the front axle joints for fittings. Some aftermarket axle joints have them.
The double cardan joint on the front drivleline of the 88 should have 3 recessed grease points (cups) on it. Number 3 is within the joint itself and is usually a major pain in the butt to grease with the driveline still in the vehicle, but it can be done.

Good luck,
ex-grease monkey

I guess I was a little off on one of my descriptions.

I did get the slip joint on the front drive shaft. For some reason I stated that as the u-joint at the t-case. Gee, can you tell that I'm quite the rookie at this stuff? :rolleyes:

I just checked and there was no grease fitting on the frame end of the trac bar on the '88. Will check the '00 later.

JEEPZZ, can you elaborate on the grease cups on the double cardan joint?

Any advice for the u-joint on the front drive shaft?

Thanks guys.

Brian

gw204 said:

I did get the slip joint on the front drive shaft. For some reason I stated that as the u-joint at the t-case. Gee, can you tell that I'm quite the rookie at this stuff? :rolleyes:

I just checked and there was no grease fitting on the frame end of the trac bar on the '88. Will check the '00 later.

Any advice for the u-joint on the front drive shaft?

Thanks guys.

Brian

Hell I don't know what it is called either.. :D from the looks of my last post I can't type...

I don't have any advice on the u-joint... but since your down there.. GRAB THAT TRACK BAR AND WIGGLE IT... if it moves, replace it.. :D

gw204 said:

Brian
Here's a pic of my 87's CV.
DSC02386.JPG

Don't know the official name but I just call them grease cups.
The 2 visible are on the outer caps of the double cardan joint and the pain in the ass 3rd one is located inside that large center hole you see. I couldn't get my camera there any closer to see it so you can image how tough it'll be to get a grease hose and needle valve in there to lube it.

Okay, first off on that Track Bar. On your '88 it very well may be bad (I'm going through this with my '89 right now) To find out get a buddy to move the steering wheel (with the car off), not much, just bounce it back and forth until he feels resistance. While doing that you put your hands over all parts of the steering feeling for non-smooth movement. The Track Bar will pop to the left and right if the heim joint is bad.

As for the track bar, my '89 has no Zirc on it (but a buddy's '98 does), I used a grease gun with a needle to grease it, just injected it into the rubber boot, you may be able to do this with your ball joints too, not sure.

Those U-Joints in the front axle need that needle too. The needle goes into the "cup" to grease them.

How many miles are on your '89? I'd seriously consider replacing all the U-Joints before they go bad, that way you know that all's in good shape. (Plus you can keep the old ones as trail spares) I just did this in mine, there's 7 joints on your '88. (Two in the rear drive shaft, three in the front drive shaft, and one behind each steering knuckle in the axle shafts.)

Sequoia

Sequoia,

I've never seen a needle for a grease gun. When can I pick up one of them? I'll check the trackbar over the next few days.

The old XJ has 211K on it and honestly, I don't want to spend any more $$ on it than is necessary, hence the radiator bandaid. It's costing me between $100 and $200 a month for a while so I'm contemplating dumping it. I just don't have the time to keep up with it now that fishing season is in full swing. Besides, it's never been wheeled and probably never will.

On the other hand, I did buy a BB and a set of '98 XJ springs for it a few months ago, and I would be curious to see how long I can keep her going.

Who knows.... A full size would be really nice for pulling my boat though.

Thanks.

Brian

gw204 said:
Sequoia,

I've never seen a needle for a grease gun. When can I pick up one of them? I'll check the trackbar over the next few days.

The old XJ has 211K on it and honestly, I don't want to spend any more $$ on it than is necessary, hence the radiator bandaid. It's costing me between $100 and $200 a month for a while so I'm contemplating dumping it. I just don't have the time to keep up with it now that fishing season is in full swing. Besides, it's never been wheeled and probably never will.

On the other hand, I did buy a BB and a set of '98 XJ springs for it a few months ago, and I would be curious to see how long I can keep her going.

Who knows.... A full size would be really nice for pulling my boat though.

Thanks.

Brian

Don't get rid of it... 200k is just when they start getting good.:D

I got my needle for the grease gun at Kragen..... when you get it though make a contingency plan for pulling it out of the gun as it's a major PITA! Actually I will probably just pick up another adapter and I will swap that out on the end of the hose (last time I gave my finger a silicone injection!)

Kejtar

Back