• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Wires?

Noodle

NAXJA Forum User
What are the 3 wires going to the fuel Pump? Ground, Fuel pump power, Sending unit? I checked voltage on between outside two wires with key on and it is 10.?? is that correct? I cant get it running and just put in a new pump from Autozone.

It actually has both, sometimes it will start and die as soon as I let off of the starter, other times it does not want to start. I have bypassed the ballast resistor. Any ideas?

The three wires are power, ground for the pump, and a feedback wire to the fuel gauge. Black is ground, of course. The heavy wire is 12-volt power, and the light gauge colored wire (which memory tells me was pink or lavander on the 88 I did awhile ago, but I don't really remember) is the fuel gauge wire.

I may be way off, but I changed the fuel pump in my '90 pulled the old one wired the new one back the same. It would turn but not pump. I pulled it back out stuck it in a bucket of gas, put jumper wires on it, it was come to find out runnin' backwards. Took it apart and switched the wires, it pumped just fine. Just a thought.

Back