• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ brake conversion

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard that the ball joints from a WJ may have a different taper than the standard XJ ones. ANyone know if there is some truth to that? I am getting ready to do the swap this weekend and am going to install new ball joints at the same time.

-Mike

Mike L said:
I've heard that the ball joints from a WJ may have a different taper than the standard XJ ones. ANyone know if there is some truth to that? I am getting ready to do the swap this weekend and am going to install new ball joints at the same time.

-Mike

To complete the Tech for future search's, yes, WJ ball joints are different than XJ ball joints :)

Paul

Exactly. Too bad the right ones are @ $145 from the dealer, each side.

-Mike

Brett, I'll elaborate. I dont think they are different. I know people who have done this swap on various late model Jeeps. None have had an issue w/ the ball joints being incompatible, or different in any way. There are TSB's for offset balljoints that reference the same number for XJ,TJ,WJ. And looking at two hsgs in my garage, an old XJ w/ preload adjustment sleeves and a WJ, they are the same.

Mike, did you have the dealer check the #'s on the ball joints for a WJ and XJ seperatly, or just check prices on the WJ ones?

BrettM said:
he knows what you meant, he's telling you to do a search :rolleyes:

it's different, who cares how much different, just get the right ones.

This pretty much sums it up, but to elaborate:

The upper ball joints are the same, the lowers are differnt. The WJ lowers have less taper, so if you use an XJ ball joint in a WJ knuckle you'll have a somewhat loose fit.

Paul

Back