• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's, 7" of lift, fender cutting, with 4.11's

jeepattitude

NAXJA Forum User
Do you think this will be a good setup? Im taking off my cut-out flares and cutting the fenders more. I have 7" of lift right now and running 33's. I want to go bigger tire size when i cut the fenders. So im gonna go up to 35's. I have 4.11's right now, and i did a gear calculater and it came up i should have 4.2. Well they dont make them, so me and my bro think ill be fine with my 4.11's. So what do yall think?

im about to go 6-6.5" and 36" swampers........i think you'll be fine if its not a DD

jeepattitude said:
Do you think this will be a good setup? Im taking off my cut-out flares and cutting the fenders more. I have 7" of lift right now and running 33's. I want to go bigger tire size when i cut the fenders. So im gonna go up to 35's. I have 4.11's right now, and i did a gear calculater and it came up i should have 4.2. Well they dont make them, so me and my bro think ill be fine with my 4.11's. So what do yall think?

Wrong.
I have 4.88s with 33s, and will not go bigger without new axles.
Brakes, ball joints, TREs not up to task, IMHO.
With 35s, I would personally go with 5.13s, minimum.
I assume you have an 8.25 axle.
Go outside now and toss that in the dumpster, along with the 30.
You can run 35s on a 30 and an 8.25, and you can drive with your feet.
Neither is a good idea.
Find yourself a 1978 F150 and take the axles out.
Toss a Detroit in the rear and an Electrac up front with the 5.13s, or even 5.38s.
Ought to be good to go.
HTH.

bgcntry72 said:
Wrong.
Neither is a good idea.

Agreed...

upgrade axles if you ever plan on pushing the limits of a 35" tire...

You can find a lot of beefier axles with 4.10's already in them...

but with bigger axles, you'll be opening up new cans of worms...

and when you finish that can...

there'll be another one waiting...

and another one after that...

and so forth...

It just never ends...

Fun isn't it?

I think im gonna try to push the limits. I just want some cheap used 35's, so nothing thats gonna cost me too much since im only 18 adn dont have a very good paying job yet. I do plan on going to full-size D44's when i get the money too. But as of now, ill stick with this, and if i break a shaft, i can stick $40 into a new one, and then ill know i gotta stick with 33's and put the 35's on hold till i get bigger axles. Thats just kinda the idea i had in mind.

Agree with above...if you have stock axles....BAD IDEA to go over 33's. I would personnaly not lift over 7"...even 7 is to high IMHO. I run 33's with 3.5" and only slight rubbing....trimming is the magic word.

I just read your above post. You have been told...you will not listen....why? The advice above and the rest that your going to get comes from some of the very brightest and most knowledgable folkes when it comes to XJ's. Do what you want...its your Jeep....but you have been warned.

HTH YMMV

Rev

Last edited:
jeepattitude said:
I think im gonna try to push the limits. I just want some cheap used 35's, so nothing thats gonna cost me too much since im only 18 adn dont have a very good paying job yet. I do plan on going to full-size D44's when i get the money too. But as of now, ill stick with this, and if i break a shaft, i can stick $40 into a new one, and then ill know i gotta stick with 33's and put the 35's on hold till i get bigger axles. Thats just kinda the idea i had in mind.

Just remember, the first time you break a shaft and hold up the group, they'll laugh and say "we did stupid things when we were young too."

But the second time you break and hold up everone. They won't be laughing.

We won't talk about the third time.

And yes the third time will happen.
Most of us with big axles speak from our own experience.
You ask what we thought and we've spoken. take the advice and pass it on.

We're all willing to help......... the first time.

Dingo

Yeah im taking your guys advice. Im not the guy that thinks im all knowing, ive been a member of offroadworld and pavementsucks for like 3 years and have taken lots of adivce. And i take all of yours too. Im gonna wheel at the playground first adn see if it breaks, then if it does i wont hold anyone up on the trail....ill step back down to 33's, spend $40 on a new shaft, and be set. But its worth a try...im usually easy on the pedal, unless i get on a loose dirt steep climb, thats really the only time i really get on it. But im gonna try, and if it goes wrong, then its my fault, and i need to find a doner truck for axles. I was thinking an old fullsize wagoneer with D44's front and rear. So dont think im jsut being a young prick and not listening to what all of you are saying, because i am. And im sure i can borrow my buddys 35's, then i can test them out for free. and only will be spending for a new shaft is it blows.

jeepattitude said:
Yeah im taking your guys advice....And i take all of yours too. ...dont think im jsut being a young prick and not listening to what all of you are saying, because i am.

jeepattitude said:
But its worth a try...But im gonna try

these statements are not consistent with each other.

I just went from 31x10.5 with 4.10 gears to 33x12.5 with the same gears (4.10) and I CANNOT believe how much harder it is to stop and start. I would like to go to 35's BUT ONLY when I get the D44 up with 4.88 gears.

higher gears than what is properly needed causes excessive strain on your tranny....that's not a cheap $40 fix

higher gears than what is proper for whatever size tire used also causes one to use more momentum than what is ideal for obstacles leading to increased likelyhood of broken parts

i run 4.10's with 31's and wish i had lower gears. i do not think that your proposed setup is a good one . stick with 33's

Don't be so hard on the guy. I know at least one person in CO that runs a 30 and 8.25 with 35's. I think both could live with them. The only real problem with the 8.25 is that you can only go to 4.56 and not 4.88 which would be better for 35's (4.11 is not enough). I am planning to go to 35's in the future but may go 9" and dump the 8.25 at that point. Then again I may not, I may do just as this lad and try it and see what happens. After all I have a lot of maney in my 8.25's ARB. The big detraction of an 8.25 is the C clip, which for the most part isn't a big deal, until you have to replace a shaft on the trail. If you have a non c clip axle an axle swap is a quick job. If you have c-clips, it's a pretty messy ordeal. So in the interest of speeding up possible repairs I may go 9" or 44. But my big question is, how many broken 8.25's have there been out on the trail?

B-loose

jeepattitude said:

what gear calc did u use?
use the one on Superior Axle & Gear dot com
by stock tire size in inches p225=~27" to 35" gears should be 4.6~
if your stock gear was 3.55 (assume/most common)
so 4.56 would be the closest fit.
But since you are already @ 4.11 that shouldn't be bad but lower would be better.
i'm doin 4.88s for 35s
mainly bc i know i'll get inch-itis ;)

It's not so bad!!!!!!!!!!!! I ran this very set up for 3 years and had no problems, that is with 410 and 35", the only difference is I did have a Dana 44 in the rear. No hard rock wheeling, but never broke anything. The gears are great off road, but on the highway is liveable, but not desireable. The worst part about this set up is the brakes. That is totally unacceptable. So I put the WJ knuckles, calipers, rotors, linkage, booster, etc and now stops great. That cost money that could go to bigger axles though.

Bottom line is now for piece of mind, went with 488's when my rear end pinion gave way (this is not brakage) and Superior axles in the front D30. The money I got invested in these axles, I could have gotten a 9" in the rear and D44 in front...................... Just think about the brakes, these are very important, and most folks, including myself tend to forget these until they drive the beast.

Check out my rig here www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmon

The others are CORRECT. I'm running 35s on 4:88s, and it's not enough gear. 5:13s would be MUCH better. I get away with it on the trail because I have a TeraLow t-case.
I ran 33s with 4:11s for a short time, and it SUCKED! The Jeep had no power on the street. I couldn't get out of my own way! I couldn't imagine running 35s on those gears. :gag:

bgcntry72 said:
Wrong.
Neither is a good idea.
Find yourself a 1978 F150 and take the axles out.
Toss a Detroit in the rear and an Electrac up front with the 5.13s, or even 5.38s.
Ought to be good to go.
HTH.
Dead-on advice.

You guys are so full of yourselves...sheesh. A handful of folks here have said "Don't so it....you'll break everything". I say HAH! We ALL started somewhere...and had to learn what breaks and what doesn't. And EVERYONE is different to the point where this kid may surprise you and not break anything.

It is my opinion that with some finesse a D-30 can live well with 35's...the u-joints being the weak point (unless you at least have 297's). A VERY close friend of mine...some of you may know him as yellowxj??....had a D-30 with 36" swampers for over 2 years...in that 2 year span he broke a few 260 u-joints...but it lived well until he started to get into some more serious terrain and the ring gear sheared. Now granted yes he broke...but for getting it all together etc...2 years is a long time.

And as for the 8.25 (if he has it) get some 29 spline shafts and the right side gears (or locker) and run it. LOTS of folks run 35's on the D-30/8.25 combo...hell LOTS of folks run the D-30/35 combo. Are these the best combination of axles for 35" tires...NO...of course not. But you guys make it sound like he's gonna snap something in his driveway for pete's sake...ease up.

And as for 4.11's....4.88's would be about ideal (you're all crazy saying 5.13's with 35's and a 6 cyl but that's my opinion)....BUT the 4.11's although not great...will get you there.

There are so many folks running 3.07's with 35's it's sickening...at least he;s not going to do that...again ...ease up.

You don't need D-60's with 35's...and the D-30/8.25 combo can live well with 35's with some beefing ...LOTS less $$ than swapping axles (usually), and not being STOOPID on the go-pedal. And just to clarify...I agree the stock axles aren;t the best combo for 35's and hard wheeling...but we all know they will work and can last quite a while if you drive right.

Back