• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorter Side Pipe for XJ??? Is it possible?

why?:dunno:

I think it looks cool...Im in the middle of an exhaust mod now so I figured, why not? Plus it helps the breathing process of the jeep while water fording.
Any thoughts about how I could do this would be awsom. Any thought on why I shouldnt would be cool too.
Brian

do you live on an island and have to cross the water/river twice every single day?

x2....:laugh3:
Purple said:
do you live on an island and have to cross the water/river twice every single day?

Might be kinda cool... passenger side, maybe run it at the same angle as the rear window... if it interests you, DO IT, and make a write up for the rest of us....

there is just something about water crossings that appeals to me....Like rocks do to rock crawlers. Being able to go in 4' -5' deep water gives me an overwhelming feeling of success. And I dont like paying 2000 bones to fix my flooded engine either. There is alot of water crossings where I live. I try to adapt to my surroundings. I once got stuck in a creek that was 4' deep. I was new to off roading and didnt even have tow hooks. I was alone in the middle of the city Hamilton, OH, in my stock XJ, stuck in a creek, in the middle of a city park. I ran as fast as I could to the nearest phone and called up my 4 wheel club members. Four of them showed up 5 hours later. They brought thier XJ's and toyota's to pull me out. Turned out that by then my interior was full of water, and my starter was froze up. We had to pull that 2000 sport XJ of mine out with a come-a-long. I thought for sure that I filled my new XJ engine up with water. Oh yea, It was in December when this happened and I had to submerge myself many times into the freezing cold december water of ohio, to wrap my 15' tow strap around my axle housing. It took 3 hours to pull that XJ out and on the way out of the park, after getting the jeep started, we were all ticketed by the Hamilton Police department for criminal trespassing and driving in a city park after dark. It was not fun. I had a 500$ fine to pay, and a bunch of angery friends. CODEMAN (member of NAXJA) was there when this went down. So to awnser your question...I like water crossings. I love welder!!!!!!
Brian

HaZakated said:
I think it looks cool...Im in the middle of an exhaust mod now so I figured, why not? Plus it helps the breathing process of the jeep while water fording.
Any thoughts about how I could do this would be awsom. Any thought on why I shouldnt would be cool too.
Brian

Yes im crazy, now that that's out of the way.

I actually thought about doing something similar once. But i thought about welding a header flange at the end of the exhaust then carry a piece of tubing that would mate up to the flange and the clamp to the swingout. the side would be cool but i would worry about melting paint and drying up seals.
With the tube being removable you only have it on when you need it, and it won't get hung up on trees if it's mounted on the rear.

Of course it would also be a pain in the arse to open and close the swingout.

Dingo

I was thinking about doing this also...i was thinking about cutting off teh end of the pipe just after the rear passanger tire. Then gettting some exhaust tubing bent up so that it it aimed out to the side. Cut a hole in the rear quarter pannel and run it through that hole and straight up. It makes sense to me hopefully to other ppl

I think it would look awesome, if done right. A few problems come to mind though, wouldnt the heat coming off the pipe screw up your paint on the side of your jeep? Also TREES looks where I live trees are always scraping down the side of my heep. How you have the pipe ran in the picture looks like it might be in the way of the tires uptravel also, just a few things to think about. I think you should do it and if it turns out to be crap, chop it off and just put it back where it was.

my 2 cents

They make fording kits for M151 and H1 hummers that have the shielded tailpipe. No idea what they cost, I seem to remember the M151's were about 2" exhaust. USMC used and uses them extensively and I bet there are alot of the M151 kits on govt site auctions. Might be worth a look.

Back