• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Shims....

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
i just got my shims today for my axle... could someone please put a pic or a link on how to install these?

Did you get the ones with the big hole in them or the small hole...? In other words, does the hole look big enough for the leaf pack center pin to fit into...or small like a bolt would go through. Its really not that hard to do. I did mine one side at a time to try to keep the axle under control, but it helps to loosen it all up. Helps to have a buddy to help move the axle around too.

If you have the ones with the big hole, you will need to use a spacer behind the head of your center pin so it can go through the shim and into the axle hole. If you have the ones with the small hole, you will actually take out the center pin, and install the shim behind the head of the pin. BE SURE TO USE C-CLAMPS ON YOUR LEAF PACK BEFORE REMOVING THE CENTER PIN!!! It takes a little wrestling with the axle to get it back together, but using a floor jack at the front of the pinion will help rotate into position.

Its pretty straight forward. Just have to make sure you get your center pin to engage into the spring perch hole all the way. Im sure I forgot some stuff, and someone will fill in.

Justin

ghettocruiser said:
If you have the ones with the big hole, you will need to use a spacer behind the head of your center pin so it can go through the shim and into the axle hole. If you have the ones with the small hole, you will actually take out the center pin, and install the shim behind the head of the pin.

Can you tell me how you manage to get a spacer behind the head of the center pin without removing it................. :laugh3:

Haha...good call 91 Jeep Project...like I said, I probably left some stuff out. I got home from work late last night and I was going to leave the post to others, but I didnt get my post fix yet so I figured Ide give it a go.
So yeah...good point. The center pin has to come out probably no matter what. Guess I figured it was obvious the pin had to come out to do the spacer...oh well.

Purple let us know how you made out. I know my shims were a saving grace because I couldnt even drive my jeep out of the driveway after my lift...

Justin

SKinny end towards the front of the vehicle... the rest is easy..<
LOL
It's amazing what a little pinion angle change will do!
Back when I was running the d35 and 4.5 inches of lift, I installed shims to alleviate some vibes and they just slipped right over the pin. (Big hole) I don't have any pictures, but between the simplicity of the job and the details already given, you should be fine. JUST REMEMBER, if you must remove the pin, always have your leafs clamped together in several places!

(License Plate)
"IF YOU CAN'T STOP, SMILE AS YOU GO UNDER!"

90 XJ 4.0L I6 Auto
11" Lift, Rustys Longarm Kit, OTK Steering, 4.56 Gears, D30/Ford 8.8, Eaton E-Locker (rear), K&N Cold Air Intake, 35X12.50 BFG MT KM's on Eagle Alloy 15X10's, 6-States Driveshaft, Cracked Windshield, tree damage, oxidation...
Inland Northwest Adventures.com
ELKWA02052005-JUMP.jpg

Back