• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C problem

Rick VanRossen

NAXJA Forum User
A/C (blower fan) dies upon acceleration or going up hill. Comes back to normal if I let up on gas or start down-hill. Is this some sort of vacuum leak?
89 XJ Waqoneer
31 in. tires
stock gear.
TIA.

Vacuum leak...doesn't take much of a leak...most likely a rubber fitting on a connection...or a deteriorated hose (soft and mushy) with a leak in the side...you may be able to hear the leak...mine sprung a leak from the vacuum connector coming partly loose. Acted the same way...I could hear the leak coming from inside the dash...pulled the radio out and plugged the connector back in and safety wired it in place.

yeah, i've got the same problem. Exactly where do I start looking for this vacuum leak? I can't really hear anything inside the dash, then again, i havent really been listening there. Well....still....any idea on where to start with this problem? It's the same, with the a/c blower cutting out during acceleration or hill climbs.

Also, when charging the system, which way do I hold the can? Upside down or right side up? I dont know if i am supposed to put gas or liquid in it.

Last edited:
You start at the vacuum tank(s)..on my 85 model, looks like 2 large bean cans mounted to the fenderwell passenger side..a line goes to the intake for the vacuum source...a line goes from the tank thru the firewall (mine is purple) to the vacuum switch connector on the A/C control switch assembly...from there to the vacuum servos...the lines are pretty tough..but are prone to pulling out of the connector plug...check the connections on the servos..there are 3 on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.(at least on a 85 model)....on the liquid/vapor charging question...liquid...but VERY VERY slowly..that would be can upside down...best done with a weight scale to specified amount.

What if I just add liquid till the pressure reading on the low side is good? I think i might have too much oil in it, now. I'll have to see what to do about that...any way to fix that besides opening the system? I have a vacuum pump that i can purge the system with if I have to, but I'd really rather not. And I would like cold a/c this summer. Personaly, I dont mind. But my girlfriend does. :D

The best place to look for a vacuum leak is the line that goes under the battery tray. The acid usually eats a small hole in the line.
The lines go from the vacuum canister on the passenger side behind the bumper up under the battery tray along the passenger fenderwell across the firewall, tie into a line that penetrates the firewall and actuates the ventilation dampers then continues across to tie into the intake manifold. IF you have cruise control there will also be a line for that.
Charging the A/C with liquid unless you have been trained or have previously done this IS A NO NO !! DO NOT DO THIS !! You will hydro loc your compressor and damage it.
Have the can up side up and charge with vapors; MUCH safer for you and compressor.
Add vapors until you get about 34# on suction side and discharge air of about 45* with fan on maximum.

Quote: VERY VERY slowly....The actual proper approach is to evacuate the system and using a scale, weigh into the high side with the system OFF the appropriate weight...what doesn't go in, if any is then added as vapor..... Sorry if i seemed to mislead...I was envisioning having the low side hose on the accumulator and carefully watching for the frost line..I will try to be more specific in the future...thanks for pointing that out CharlesS...

Back