• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock switch location?

Jeepsloth

Gort like Jeep
I have a 1995 SE 4 door. It came with one dome light and switches on the front doors only. I would like to add switches to the rear hatch and doors, anyone have pics of their stock locations? The rear is wired and has the connector so I'm assuming that the rear passenger doors do too.

The switch for the hatch is built into the latch. You might need to find a latch from more upscale model to make this work, but you should check inside yours first, if you bought yours used. They often rust and stop working. My 95 has the two dome lights and a hatch switch, but lacks rear door switches. I don't know if the wiring is present inside the pillars, but there are holes with rubber plugs in them where the switches would go.

The hatch has a sensor which rusts and freezes a lot and stops working. Also the rear dome light has a switch allowing the lights to not come on when the hatch is opened, so check that out. If the switch is present but to badly rusted you can replace it with a mercury switch.

I too only had front sensors on my doors but with little investigation i found that under those rubber plugs and behind the piller (plastic trim interior) i found the plug for it tucked away on the inside. Using my hands and string i fished it thru and connected it and it worked.

goodluck

pete

I just did this upgrade. Go to a pick a part and pull the two switches. Check to see what kind of plug that is on the pigtail on your original harness to make sure you pick up the correct switches, I think the plugs may have changed depending on model year. You have to remove the front seatbealt and the plastic trim piece from the B pillar. Behind the lower seatbelt mount there is a plastic shield. The pigtail from the main wiring harness goes behind that shield and plugs into the switch. There are rubber plugs in the B pillar, pull those out. You'll notice that the hole is not threaded, don't worry. Just screw the switch into the hole.

Back