• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing capacity

4.0 + Auto = 5,000lbs (Tranny cooler is always a good idea, as are trailer brakes...)
4.0 + 5-speed = 2,000lbs

Not too sure about 4-bangers...

For my 88 XJ the owners manual says:

0-2000 lbs - 4 or 6 cylinder, any trans.

2000-5000 lbs - 6 cyldiner, auto trans, Aux trans cooler, power steering, 20 gallon gas tank, heavy duty cooling with electric fan.

The are people who have towed more with a 4 cylinder and with a manual transmission but there is an issue with the hydraulic slave cylinder of the clutch not able to work with the loads of towing.

Also I think my tongue weight can go up to 700 or 750 but your hitch may be rated for less. The hitch on my XJ says 3500 lb limit with a ball hitch, and 5000 lb limit with a weight distribution hitch.

I recommend you get the trans aux cooler at the dealer, it may cost more but it will fit right the first time. I installed the cooler on my 88 XJ, it fit like a glove and in the future any mechanic will know what I have.

With a class 1 hitch it's 2000 lbs. With a class 3 hitch it's 5000 lbs. Tongue weight 300 and 750 lbs respectively.
Call 1-800-890-4038 and DC will send an owners manual for 6 bucks.
Factory Service manual is 90 bucks. But the best 90 bucks I spent on the XJ ever.

Back