• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS Has Voltage - Even With Key OFF??? (It's a Renix)

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
I was adjusting my 89 Renix TPS yesterday, and noticed something very strange. I'm getting over 5v on the A wire (about 5.3v), so I adjusted the B signal wire accordingly,82% of A, or as close as I could get it.

When I turned the key off and checked the ground wire for contiinuity with the engine block, the meter pegged. Yes I had it on the correct ohm scale. :) I checked further and found about .8v on the ground wire, and when checked for current, it flows about 5MA to engine ground. (I can't run an auxillary ground wire, because then I'd get a constant 5MA battery drain...???)

Then I checked A & B wires, and got about .5v on each. THIS IS WITH THE KEY OFF....Is this normal with the Renix system, or do I have a relay leaking voltage somewhere, or what????

As always, thanks for any help or suggestions.
Don

OK, today I had some time to try to trace this problem down, so I removed all the relays I could find, and still no change. I still have about 1/2 volt on the TPS wires (all three) with the key off. I also pulled the wires off the main relay that's connected to the positive battery cable, with no change.

According to the wiring diagram in Chilton's, the TPS is connected directly to the ECM, even the ground wire. And the ECM gets power through the "Latch Relay".....Does anyone know where the Latch Relay is located?
Thanks.

Try this

XJRelays.jpg

Tom, many thanks for the pic!

Hopefully I'll have some more time to chase down this Gremlin tomorrow.
:repair:

Update

After some checking today, I found a steady 12mA draw through the battery cable, with the key off. Latch relay was OK, as was the starter relay. I've found voltage (1/2v) on the TPS square plug-in, and none on the flat plug-in. The flat plug goes to the ECU, and the square goes to the TCU (transmission control module). Since the ECU and TCU don't interact, my thoughts are that the trouble is in the TCU, or something connected to that circuit.

The TCU is supposed to be on the passenger side under dash area, but I can't see anything under there except the heater box. Does anyone know where the TCU is located?

Is the TCU supposed to have voltage with the key off? The Chiltons and Haynes manuals don't even mention the TCU, much less have a wiring diagram of it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...... :)

OK, I did some more checking, and have found two connectors, each of which have a current drain of 7mA, with the key off. This adds up to my total battery drain of 14mA. Granted this is not much current flow, and it's steady. Maybe this is normal for the Renix?

The XJ starts and runs fine, but the battery will get weak if it isn't driven for a couple weeks.

If this is normal, I can live with it. Does anyone else have a current drain on the Renix system, with the key off?

i have a slow drain on my '90 xj, pulled each fuse in the panel, didnt change any readings. i forget how much it was drawing, but when it was cold, it would turn over real slow after sitting for a day or two, pulled one cable off the battery and put the meter between the cable and batt post and got like, 12 volts, was told the most that should be pulling was 1 volt or less w/ key off, never found what is causing it. starts fine now that its warmed up some.

Thanks for the reply, Danger. I still have a 14mA drain on mine. Today I unplugged the TCU, and the drain dropped to 7mA. I suspect the other 7mA is goiing through the ECU, although I didn't check for sure.

Here's a post I searched out, posted by "8Mud":

I had another look at the ground wire, actually two ground wires. The TPS adjustment for the XJ with auto tranny, adjusts the TCU (tranny) side of the TPS (4 pin connector) the ground on mine is a orange with tan strip (black from the TPS to the connector). The three wire connector, is for the ECU and the ground wire is brown with a strip (black I think) and the TPS side of the 3 pin connector ground is also black. The ECU side of the TPS, is considered adjusted, when the tranny side is properly adjusted. Guess the TPS is more critical for the tranny, than for the ECU I had another look at the ground wire, actually two ground wires. The TPS adjustment for the XJ with auto tranny, adjusts the TCU (tranny) side of the TPS (4 pin connector) the ground on mine is a orange with tan strip (black from the TPS to the connector). The three wire connector, is for the ECU and the ground wire is brown with a strip (black I think) and the TPS side of the 3 pin connector ground is also black. The ECU side of the TPS, is considered adjusted, when the tranny side is properly adjusted. Guess the TPS is more critical for the tranny, than for the ECU.
The orange ground wire, from the four pole (tranny) side of the TPS, goes to the TCU and goes through what tests like a capasitor, then back out of the TCU to ground. The D-3 pin into the TCU (orange with a tan strip) and the D-7 pin out to ground.
Alldata says if the standing current in the orange and tan wire to the TCU, is more than 0.1 volt, a ground can be added. Don´t really know how it would affect the capacitor, in the TCU though. Mine has 0.8 volts of standing current, in the TPS to TCU ground circuit. The TPS to ECU ground circuit, has 0 resistance and no standing voltage (looks good).
If I´m wrong, please somebody explain it to me, I spent hours with an old wiring harness in my driveway this morning following wires. Took me awhile to kind of figure it out. I never did find the TCU ground (D-7 pin to chassis).
My problem is an occasional. lock, unlock, lock, unlock, chatter at almost exactly 2000 RPM or about 1/3, pedal, I can accelerate right through it with no problem, but in fourth and a steady 2000 RPM, it will chatter on occasion. Don´t really know if it´s the low TPS in voltage or the TPS to ground resistance or just a bad TPS. But it did improve some, when I cleaned the connector and the TPS in voltage went up some and after the TPS adjustment.
I had another look at the ground wire, actually two ground wires. The TPS adjustment for the XJ with auto tranny, adjusts the TCU (tranny) side of the TPS (4 pin connector) the ground on mine is a orange with tan strip (black from the TPS to the connector). The three wire connector, is for the ECU and the ground wire is brown with a strip (black I think) and the TPS side of the 3 pin connector ground is also black. The ECU side of the TPS, is considered adjusted, when the tranny side is properly adjusted. Guess the TPS is more critical for the tranny, than for the ECU.
The orange ground wire, from the four pole (tranny) side of the TPS, goes to the TCU and goes through what tests like a capasitor, then back out of the TCU to ground. The D-3 pin into the TCU (orange with a tan strip) and the D-7 pin out to ground.
Alldata says if the standing current in the orange and tan wire to the TCU, is more than 0.1 volt, a ground can be added. Don´t really know how it would affect the capacitor, in the TCU though. Mine has 0.8 volts of standing current, in the TPS to TCU ground circuit. The TPS to ECU ground circuit, has 0 resistance and no standing voltage (looks good).
If I´m wrong, please somebody explain it to me, I spent hours with an old wiring harness in my driveway this morning following wires. Took me awhile to kind of figure it out. I never did find the TCU ground (D-7 pin to chassis).
My problem is an occasional. lock, unlock, lock, unlock, chatter at almost exactly 2000 RPM or about 1/3, pedal, I can accelerate right through it with no problem, but in fourth and a steady 2000 RPM, it will chatter on occasion. Don´t really know if it´s the low TPS in voltage or the TPS to ground resistance or just a bad TPS. But it did improve some, when I cleaned the connector and the TPS in voltage went up some and after the TPS adjustment.
I had another look at the ground wire, actually two ground wires. The TPS adjustment for the XJ with auto tranny, adjusts the TCU (tranny) side of the TPS (4 pin connector) the ground on mine is a orange with tan strip (black from the TPS to the connector). The three wire connector, is for the ECU and the ground wire is brown with a strip (black I think) and the TPS side of the 3 pin connector ground is also black. The ECU side of the TPS, is considered adjusted, when the tranny side is properly adjusted. Guess the TPS is more critical for the tranny, than for the ECU.
My problem is an occasional. lock, unlock, lock, unlock, chatter at almost exactly 2000 RPM or about 1/3, pedal, I can accelerate right through it with no problem, but in fourth and a steady 2000 RPM, it will chatter on occasion. Don´t really know if it´s the low TPS in voltage or the TPS to ground resistance or just a bad TPS. But it did improve some, when I cleaned the connector and the TPS in voltage went up some and after the TPS adjustment.[QUOTE/]
The interesting part of 8Mud's post is his having .8v on the TPS to TCU circuit ground. That's precisely what I have. I'm beginning to think this current drain is normal with the Renix system.....

Last edited:
Back