• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84 2.5L Hard Start! Eagle!!!!

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I noted what you said about the carbs getting loose on the four screws under them. Tonight I went to start the Ghost. She has been getting harder and harder to start. Tonight I had the hood up and a charger on the battery. I noticed the air cleaner moving. Got out and went to tighten it but it was tight and the whole carb was wiggling. Removed the carb. One screw missing, One hole stripped where the screw fell out! So off to advanced I go to look for a replacement! If the gaskets are not in stick is RVT ok on the carb mount or is that a no no? Which one?

Be careful of using any sealant as a replacement for a gasket on a carb or carb base.
1. Silicones have great oil and water resistance, but very few silicones (even Room Temperature Vulcanizing, RTV)are listed as being gasoline resistant.
2. The mating surfaces of carbs (and their bases) frequently have channels that must be kept open for fuel or vacuum to travel through the carb; a paper gasket will maintain the passages, while a layer of silicone (or plain old permatex) will plug the passage.

see:
http://www.permatex.com/images/catalog/industrial_products/Automotive Catalog Permatex.pdf
for a description of their 'gasketmaker' products (warning: 11MB pdf).

Good luck.
-Rick

Unless you need to replace the carb immediately to drive the XJ to work tomorrow, why replace a POS carb with another of the same thing? Start looking at alternatives.

Holley has a nice, small 2 barrel that works well on the 2.5L, for example. John Caradimas from Greece (he's been on here, posts as SVC1__ or something like that) has it on his '84. If you can't find his posts, go to www.m1911.org, then follow links to the page about "your host"

Oh, I have got an alernative. I've got a TBI coming and some of the hardware. I just want to be able to drive it till I get all I need. The screws were retightened and one replaced with a nut and bolt. Drove her down the street this evening. A temp. fix.... Oh and the RVT was for the solid spacer and intake gasket. It works fine so far. Now to figure out why I have yet another colant leak! If its the H2O pump again I'll ask for my money back and find a different one!

Holley has a nice, small 2 barrel that works well on the 2.5L, for example. John Caradimas from Greece (he's been on here, posts as SVC1__ or something like that) has it on his '84. If you can't find his posts, go to www.m1911.org, then follow links to the page about "your host"

May I not correct you on the maker? I am using a Weber 2-barrel one, not a Holley. However, you guys may be able to get a Holley cheaper than the Weber (close to 500$, complete kit). The reason I got the Weber, is because very few people here have experience with American carbs, while several shops are pretty familiar with Webers, from the old days.

Mind you, the Weber has added new life to the old 4-banger. It feels as if it pulls much stronger now (well, relatively speaking, I wish I could afford a 4.0 lt HO transplant).

Finally, there is the EFI alternative. Check with CustomEFIS

This guy can get you an EFI for something like 800$, complete (and I mean complete.

Rgds

Weber carbs are top notch. I don't think you can find much that is better.

Also...the guys who runs CompleteEFI's is a FUll Size Jeep enthusiast...his kits work VERY well.

Got my TBI, intake and Dist. from Hoss today! Hoss you are the man! Now to figure out what else I need and get it swaped over! Incedently, that repair to the carb was made tones of improvement. I can do 60 on the highway now!

LRRH said:
Weber carbs are top notch. I don't think you can find much that is better.

Also...the guys who runs CompleteEFI's is a FUll Size Jeep enthusiast...his kits work VERY well.

Yes, I know, I was in my mechanic's the other day and I noticed a big box with an intake manifold with a complete multi-point FI system on it, for a V8. I thought "Gee, this is a factory thing", I've never seen anything so complete and good looking. The guy who owned that box came in a little later and we started discussing. So I asked him, "Where did you get this from, this is some piece of art" and he said CustomEFIs. I was thrilled!

It looks as if they are two of us over here who know him, and this is an accomplishement on his behalf.

Rgds

Back