• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny?

theslacker

NAXJA Forum User
My 92 Sport did something odd today(How many threads start like this?). It's got 4.0L, AW4, 231, 8.25, D30 with 230K km (143K mi) and a very dead limited slip. So I was driving along, everything fine until I punched it around a left turn. Part way through, my left rear tire hit a missing section of the road and the engine bogged right down until I released the gas, then everything was fine. This happened once before when I pulled a left hand U with what was probably too much gas. Now when I punch the gas, the trans seems to downshift alot harder than it used to. I don't know if it helps in this case but the shocks are toast and the leafs have negative arc on them. They will be gone soon, I have new factory springs all round and I'm just saving for 2" BB. Cheers all

theslacker said:
So I was driving along, everything fine until I punched it around a left turn. Part way through, my left rear tire hit a missing section of the road and the engine bogged right down until I released the gas, then everything was fine. This happened once before when I pulled a left hand U with what was probably too much gas.

Were you low on gas? (1/4 tank or less?) It sounds exactly like a fuel starvation issue. When you go around a left trun too fast,(especially under accelaration) all the gas goes to the right side of the tank and the fuel pump sucks in air for a bit. This air bubble in the fuel system is probably what caused the bogging. Hitting the pothole probably had nothing to do with it, just a coincidence.

Now all this is assuming that you had 1/4 tank or less of gas. If you had alot more than 1/4 tank, then I dunno.... As for the firmer shifting, maybe the TV (throttle valve) cable has gotten out of adjustment. It controls transmission line pressure and could be cause for firmer shifting. Does it upshift any firmer, or is it just on downshifts?

Just throwing some ideas out here...

Back