• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker subframe question

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm looking into getting a Skyjacker Rockready subframe for my XJ. It looks like most of the people who have the subframe like it, but have problems with the heims at the frame end of the LCAs.

My question is, would my RE lower arms work with the subframe if I extended them? Will the RE joint fit into the subframe?

Thanks. Phil

Last edited:
I belive currie makes johnny joinys to replace the hiems.

Tera makes joints that thread into the SJ arms, also. But I already have RE arms and if I can simply extend what I already have, I'd prefer to do that.

Brandon, thanks for your input. I had DBs on my old MJ. I haven't forgotten about them.

If you want, I'll measure the width of the SJ arm mounting locations this evening. I think the RE ends will fit in, you could then add washers to take up any gap.

I guess another thing to consider would be hole/bolt diameter.

Last edited:
There is also a major loss of ground clearance with the Skyjacker set-up!

BrettM said:
it doesn't look to be any worse that RE drop brackets, and it has more or a "ramp" on the back side...

Actually, after looking at one over the weekend, I really dig these. They seem much stouter than the RE set up, allow for a longer arm, and have an integrated crossmember.

Phil, the one thing I didn't get a measurement on was the width of the frame side. I know they use a 1.25" heim (which is huge) and a spacer on each side of it to boot, so I *think* it will fit the standard 2 5/8" JJ/RE superflex/or OEM bushing. The bolt looks to be 9/16" as well, so no trouble there.

Did you get a price on one?

CRASH

CRASH said:
Actually, after looking at one over the weekend, I really dig these. I know they use a 1.25" heim (which is huge) and a spacer on each side of it to boot

I have the Skyjacker subframe, and although it takes us some clearance, it is really good at sliding over obstacles. In my opinion, I'd rather land my Jeep on the subframe rather than the tubing of a long arm (yesterday I saw a RE LCA cut in half and it's only 1/8" thick). The cross member has two pairs of mounting holes, so you can raise or lower the transfer case to accommodate your drive shafts; I raised mine up approximately 1". It allows for a longer arm, but even though it's not a true long-arm, it gives the same LCA geometry of one.

The sub frame really stiffens up the front end (Rubicon Express has claimed that they think that it stiffens up the unibody too much) and that is one reason why it is so commonly used in JEEPSPEED. It ties the upper and lower control arm mounts to the stock mounting holes of the transfer case cross member. The sub frame, along with my Detours unibody stiffeners/rock rails, really sandwiches and supports the vulnerable spots of my unibody. I'm going to eventually tie in a cage to all of this, which should help even more. The only problem is that, for a TC skid, custom or modified is the only way to get one to work.

The Skyjacker heims are huge, but leave a bit to be desired. I just took a close look at them last week, only to find each of them cracked around the spherical ball of the joints. Luckily for me they were under warranty, but in the future I'm looking to replace them with a heim manufactured by another more reputable company. Any heim should work with the frame as long as the proper sized misalignment bushings are utilized. The bolt is 9/16".

The best price I have seen for the sub frame separately was through JEEPSPEED.com, although the link wasn't working properly when I just checked.

When I was looking at buying just the frame, I remember seeing it first at around $475. But a couple months later when it came time for me to buy, I saw it went up at least $100. I ended up buying an entire 6" RR kit.

Call these guys. They are who I talked to when I was looking.

JEEPSPEED SUPPLIERS
Telephone: (714) 538-7434 - Administration
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (714) 633-1724

The SJ RR subframe mount for the LCA is 2 13/16 wide.

Cool, sounds like:

1. The people who have actually run the SJ subframe really like it.
2. The SJ heims kinda suck, but RE joints will fit without much hassle. Tera and Currie ends will also work with the SJ arms.

JeepSpeed Suppliers is only for JeepSpeed racers.

How much shipped to 95616?

Phill said:
JeepSpeed Suppliers is only for JeepSpeed racers.

Did they tell you that? Almost exactly a year ago they were going to sell parts to me.

I know the part number is something like JC-60 or JC-65. There are different sub frames for manual and automatic.

I've got the Tera joints in my LCA's and Curries' in my UCA's and they a much better than the SJ heims I had. (both pair, with and without the teflon insert)

Anybody tried adapting one to an XJ with sleeved frame rails? Just curious if all it would take is to oval out the LCA holes downward the thickness of the sleeve material?

Is this what you're talking about?
xjkit_lg.jpg

Billy

Back