• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax-15 spline count

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't end up swapping in an aw4 in, couldn't find an adequate donor, all the rigs had high mileage, but I did get a great deal on a used ax-15 (gotta love PnP half price day)...But now my question is what is the spline count for 1990 ax-15, I did a search and didn't get a straight answer, is it 21 or 23 spline out put? Is there an easy way to tell? The trans came out of a 1990 cherokee. I know the aw4 cutoff is 91+ for the 23 spline and 90- for the 21, is the ax-15 the same? Thanks in advance...

davidt said:
I didn't end up swapping in an aw4 in, couldn't find an adequate donor, all the rigs had high mileage, but I did get a great deal on a used ax-15 (gotta love PnP half price day)...But now my question is what is the spline count for 1990 ax-15, I did a search and didn't get a straight answer, is it 21 or 23 spline out put? Is there an easy way to tell? The trans came out of a 1990 cherokee. I know the aw4 cutoff is 91+ for the 23 spline and 90- for the 21, is the ax-15 the same? Thanks in advance...

According to Avanced Adapters all AX-15's are 23 spline. Otherwise I always went with wether or not it had an HO 4.0l.

ChuckD said:
According to Avanced Adapters all AX-15's are 23 spline. Otherwise I always went with wether or not it had an HO 4.0l.
sweet chuck, anybody else have an opinion, maybe there was an oddball ax-15, ya never know. I have a line on a super cheap set of axles, just need to do a d-300 swap and need to know if the spline count will match up without modification...

ahhh, good idea, I have my old tranny in the shop, unfortunately, I never learned to count :( Can you come count them for me? ;) :)

You should be able to count the splines on the tranny. Also be sure you got the AX15 and not the BA10 Peugot. 23 splines was used in the AW4 from 91'+ with the high output so you would think that you have a 21 spline was used with the non high output 87-90', but you cannot assume anything. The best way is to count the splines.

Big Red said:
You should be able to count the splines on the tranny. Also be sure you got the AX15 and not the BA10 Peugot. 23 splines was used in the AW4 from 91'+ with the high output so you would think that you have a 21 spline was used with the non high output 87-90', but you cannot assume anything. The best way is to count the splines.

I am so enlightened! :wow:

Back