• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! xj 4" trailmaster lift

xjennyj

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a trailmaster 3-4" lift for an xj cherokee the other day on ebay, and got really excited when I saw the huge box sitting on my front porch. I opened up the kit and saw the directions. I began reading down and it said

"to be installed on Cherokee's with standard 5speed command trak transmissions, and are not to be used on cherokees with automatic "select-trac" transmissions" which, of freakin course, is what I have.

Then it goes on to say that the original factory front drive shaft must be removed and replaced with new longer balanced drive yoke, and new industrial flange on the transfer case and on the standard 5-speed transmission.

Well, this absolutely makes no sense to me, so what do you guys think?
What do I do? What would make this kit useable on my jeep? How come when I read other lift kit instructions, it says nothing about not installing their lifts on an automatic..

Don't worry about that, trans type has nothing to do with anything you'd be installing in a lift kit. What did it come with, front springs? rears? shocks? some nuts and bolts? maybe some extension brackets for LCA's or Trac bar? that stuff dont' have anything to do with what kinda trans you got. On a 3-4" kit you should'nt need a new driveshaft, good chance you won't even get an driveline vibes. I'd just put the kit on and forget abotu what those instructions say there, you'll be fine.

Later,

Eric

Maybe they were refering to the older XJ's from 84-86 that had the goofy Constant velocity front driveshaft if they were a selectrak.

Thats almost the same thing that a local 4x4 shop said to me, I guess they were reading off a catalog or box. I think its a clever way to sell front driveshafts!
I bet money that your lift will go in fine.

andyr354 said:
Maybe they were refering to the older XJ's from 84-86 that had the goofy Constant velocity front driveshaft if they were a selectrak.

Just to confirm an answer, this is correct. Any other year of select trac don't worry about it.

mark
orgs mfg

andyr354 said:

I think this is exactly the case. Remember that the Trailmaster was one of the very first lift kits for the XJ to hit the market. Apparently they keep selling them and haven't bothered to update the instructions.

Back