• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Relocation

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
The snorkel thread got me thinking.

I recently bought my wife a 00 TJ, 4L, no AC, and when i popped the hood i noticed that her alternator sits up high were the AC compressor usually is. My question is, is it possible to run a setup like this on my 4L 98 XJ? Is it illegal to remove the AC (let CFC's out). I'd definately get rid of the AC if i could mount my alternator higher. Seems like the TJ alternator bracket and sperpentine belt could be used on an XJ. Anyone seen this done?

I have heard this question before, but never heard a definite answer. I think there might have been a problem with fan direction, fan mounting or such. Carefully look at the direction the belt turns everything, then look at the mounting of everything... how far the pulleys are out.. and if the bracket will keep everything in-line. I would get under both hoods and measure everything.. and if it works let me know... my 89, the A/C no work.. so I may go on-board air.. or if this works, remove it..
As far as Illegal? technically yes, but "leaks" happen everyday...

The brackets from a TJ stick to far forward, not enough room under an XJ hood.

Anything is possible if you want to fabricate it though. The AC and ALT both spin the same direction. Would just have to make an adapter bracket to bolt to the existing AC mounting surface and see if the belt routing could be made to work.

Alternators do not care which direction they are turned. So you don't have to worry about that, but AC compressors are a different story.

old_man said:
Alternators do not care which direction they are turned. So you don't have to worry about that, but AC compressors are a different story.

Actually, they do care. The cooling fan is uni-directional. From an electrical field standpoint, you are correct.

CRASH

Good point, but I've never had one fail running backwards.

old_man said:
Good point, but I've never had one fail running backwards.

Yes, but there is the Colorado factor to consider.....

Back