• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need your help fellas.

kmagnuss_2000

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the rundown: Up until about a month ago I had a 4" lift and 31's. RE springs, upper and lower ca's, shocks, tc drop. Well I went back to basically stock, and now I have some problems. First off I had a bad hum in the front so I replaced both hubs. Hum went away. Then I realized that I was bottoming out my 2" lift shocks with the stock springs...so I put on some up country shocks (which lifted the front end up about 1/4") and then I got a bad vibe above 70 mph. I tried all sorts of stuff to get it to go away, but the only thing that worked was taking out the front driveshaft. Cool...vibe gone. Inspected the driveshaft and found a u-joint to be binding up a bit...so I replaced it. Put the ds back in and the vibe is back. Not as bad...but it's still there.
Well I tow a boat so I wanted a little bit of lift on there and stiffer springs...so I put on a full legnth leaf to the back which lifted me almost 2". Then I added 2" spacers to the front and took out my 3/4" isolators. Now the jeep is sitting nice but I still have that vibe.
Part 2: My rear brakes were shot, so I replaced those last weekend. New drums, shoes, and spring kit. Well now all of a sudden I notice that I get a BAD vibe coming from the back when I hit the brakes. Also...the passenger side drum is hot enough to boil an egg after a drive. I don't know what to do...I had the screw adjuster screwed all the way in to make the shoes not contact the drum...but I don't think it's far enough. Could I have gotten a drum that was out of round?

Please help me. Thanks.

-Keith

Brakes should be the return spring inside the drum. I had one break after a break job on my 99 and it damn near locked up every time I pressesd the pedal. The vibe I would only be guessing at.. I think its the camber of the axles.. with 4" lift you need to adjust the camber to keep the driveline happy, this ia done with the control arms and usually a drop shackle or wedge in the rear. Did you remove those items when you went back to stock?

I went back to the stock control arms. And I took out the shim in the rear. It's not a TC drop...I still have mine sitting in the garage and I've tried it and makes no difference.

sorry man...out of my ball park...the only thing that I can figure is something might be bent or not sitting how it's supposed to sit in your drive train. I know that my rear axle once was not lined up right due to the fact that I mounted the leaf incorrectly. I got a pull to the left when driving. I fixed that recently although and the pull is gone. The leaf was seated wrong in the shackle and didn't want to come forward. I had a buddy with a TC problem that caused a vibration. It had something to do with the yoke, and some sort of chain inside the TC. He had it rebuilt.
Brian

Check the centering bearing in the dual cardan. Also look at the front ujoints. Lastly, you may have a bent driveshaft. Put the vehicle up on blocks and slowly rotate the front shaft and look for wobble.

14 posts on this thread so far and no mention of the drive line angles. If you don't know the angles, it's ALL guessing.

Back