• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle noises, pulling etc.

markje

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I'm from Holland and driving a 95 4.0 ho 5 speed manual and have a problem which both me and the workshop can not solve, when hot the vehicle pulls to the left under acceleration and this gets worse with high outside temp's.
Also when taking of from standstill (engine/trans hot) it feels like something is "scratching" in the rear axle (d35), Diff oil has been changed twice (fully synthetic 80/140).

Any advise on this would be very welcome, it's a great car but I can not stand noises even the mechanic does not understand.

Thanks in advance !!

Mark
[email protected]

With noises and scratchy sounds from the back that are off-centre, I would look at the brakes first. When it is acting up (hot weather and driven a good distance), try feeling the back brake drums. If one side is dragging, it should feel hotter than the non-dragging side. If the left rear is warmer than the right, then it is brake related. Could be a stuck rear brake cylinder, warped drum, or parts inside the drum acting up. Also- have you tightened the rear lug nuts to the correct tension, and all the same tension, using a torque wrench? Some ideas to check.... 4xBob

Sounds like a brake problem to me. But then I'm only a backyard mechanic. One side is apparently sticking. Does one of your front calipers get VERY hot after going a couple miles? Or the rears could be screwed up somehow also. The noise could be a pad(s) dragging.

We both must have been typing our answers at the same time. I've always been waiting for that to happen.

hello again,

thanks for all advise, just checked the drums, were not hot at all, to be absolutely sure I will have new rear brake shoes installed next friday (they were going to be replaced anyway). Wheel lug nuts are correctly tightened. As far as I (and the mechanic) could see, everything is looking ok under the car.

I will send a message on what happens after the brake job is done next friday,

Thanks,
Mark

A weak/leaking rear cylinder can cause the same symptoms.

Hello again,

New brake shoes installed, again new diff. oil, drove 20 km's and F**K, again, pulling to the left when accelerating, scratching noises when taking of from standstill, especially when turning to the left at the same time. also I (when I lost my temper today) rocked the wheels and discovered the "scratching" noise was coming from the left rear wheel.

Is there anybody who can advise me if it could be the special lubricant that has to be added to the diff. oil (Dana 35, non ABS, limited slip diff.) after all, everything else has been replaced...

Thanks in advance for all advise, I really love my car but I'm beginning to lose confidence in it.

Mark
[email protected]

Back