• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brakes stink

offroadxj07

NAXJA Forum User
Well lately... ever since I went mudding actually... my brakes arent working as well as before. It seems like maybe the back brakes fully went out. I have to litterally push the petal to the floor to make it slow down. My front brakes seem to work because if I drive for more then an hour they start to stink and sometimes even smoke thats why I am guessing its my drums in the back... am I right? Do I need to replace them or is there another way of fixing it. Also when I stop usually the brake light on my instrumental panel will come on cuz I have to push down so hard... I am not to sure about what the problem is so if anyone can help that would be nice... otherwise Ill have to run it down somewhere.. thnx

Pull off your rear drums and check your shoes. Last jast june I got stuck in some deep mud and the next day I checked my brakes to find out there was no material on the shoes and the front pads witch ruined my rotors.

Also wich brake light is it. If it your abs light than you might have ruined your abs sensers by stuffing them with mud.

offroadxj07 said:
the light that comes on is the same light that is on when I put up the E brake

the light comes on when the proportioning valve reads a difference in pressure.

i would look at the rear brakes to see if they are adjusted proporly and check to see if the wheel cylinders are leaking. could also be a bad master cylinder.

sometimes if you do a lot of mudding you will get your rear drums full of mud, pull your drums and check. It won't hurt to look especially if you have not had it apart in awhile(or ever)

Back