• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 questions

chadc

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of a way to increase compression braking, and or a way to manually keep it in first gear.
much appreciated
Chadc

Don't know about compression braking with the AW4, but to keep it in 1st. gear you need to drive slow in low range. or you can get a kit from Compu Kit to allow you to manually shift it. check out jeepin.com for the info.

Yeah -- just be sure that your talkin' about the "right" years of AW4 -- it's no so much the tranny, but the other controls that get to be problematic.. and pay attention to temps if you leave the torque converter unlocked lots...

Let me throw a wrench into things

I swapped the original 5spd for the aw4. I built a wiring harnes that sends the tranny only what it needs. 1 constant power, 3 switched, the vehicle speed and the tps. The tranny is a 98
thanks everyone
Chadc

...or you can get a kit from Compu Kit to allow you to manually shift it.

Do you mean the CompuShift Plus?
The CompuShift will NOT lock an AW4 in first gear. When activated the CompuShift only holds the tranny in Second gear (unless the throttle is pressed down more than 2/3rds when it goes to first if needed).

When the CompuShift is off the tranny is allowed to do its normal set up of 1-2 shift.

Bones
NAXJA #6
(And former CompuShift distributor)

chadc said:
Does anyone know of a way to increase compression braking, and or a way to manually keep it in first gear.
much appreciated
Chadc

Not to rub it in (too much) but you got rid of the best way to keep it in first gear manually when you got rid of the manual transmission. Oh, well.

I will defer to those with automatics to advise you about toggle switches and such, but the solution is out there.

As for compression braking -- obviously, that's a function of the engine, not the transmission. The only way to increase compression braking is to increase compression. However, to go beyond locking the tranny in first to maximize what compression braking you have, the next step is to change the axle ratio to give you more gear reduction. Or convert your transfer case with a 4:1 low range.

I did the 3 toggle plan (on my 89)

One turns the TCU off/on, one allows you to select/hold 1st OR second gear, and the third allows manual locking of the torque convertor.

I put all the toggles on the lower dash beside the ashtray (short runs of wire from the TCU harness...) but then moved the convertor lockup to the console beside the e-brake handle...I used a push-pull switch and it's right there at hand when laying the elbow on the console...kinda like splitshifting a 2-speed axle. With the tranny held in first, plus the TC locked...ya got all the compression braking you'll ever get out of an AW4.

I got the tech and schematics off John John's website www.bigoffroad.com. (it's a writeup by Troy Morris in the BigTech section)

HTH & enjoy your new 'manumatic'

Woody at work said:
I did the 3 toggle plan (on my 89)

One turns the TCU off/on, one allows you to select/hold 1st OR second gear, and the third allows manual locking of the torque convertor.

I put all the toggles on the lower dash beside the ashtray (short runs of wire from the TCU harness...) but then moved the convertor lockup to the console beside the e-brake handle...I used a push-pull switch and it's right there at hand when laying the elbow on the console...kinda like splitshifting a 2-speed axle. With the tranny held in first, plus the TC locked...ya got all the compression braking you'll ever get out of an AW4.

I got the tech and schematics off John John's website www.bigoffroad.com. (it's a writeup by Troy Morris in the BigTech section)

HTH & enjoy your new 'manumatic'

Woody,

How long have you been running this? Any problems?

mark
orgs mfg

I did mine in March...approk 4000 mi ago. (3950 street/50 muddy trails) No real problems to report...a little bit of a learning curve as in "unlock TC BEFORE fully stopping" LOL

To do over, I'd put both the TC and 1-2 controller switches on the console beside the brake lever.

The 1-2 feature is handy on the trail... I haven't found a need to lock it IN to 3rd or OD yet, but locking in the TC and 1st gear is a brake-saver on long/steep descents.

Probably will invest in a fluid cooler/remote filter before things heat up too much more out here.

Just used a single switch to do mine. Shift to the 1-2 position. Up is normal lets the normal power flow from the tcu, middle breaks the circut that would allow 2nd to engage, down powers second gear. I could refigure how I did this if its the path your interested in.

Back