• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

runing without carpet

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
I was wondering if anyone running with out a carpet
and has herculined or used por-15 or anything like that
has any pictures

I was thinking of doing this, and I just was wondering what it would look like

Of course it's been done.
Hell, some even line the exterior too.
Takes lots of prep.
It's loud.
It gets hot.
and it's loud.
:lecture: :gag:

I don't have pics at the moment, but I have Herculined 3 XJs and 3 YJs and really like the stuff. It's cheap and well worth the $ and time. I take the carpet out of all the Jeeps I wheel. The carpet just holds in the moisture and your floor will rust if you repeatedly get it wet especially if you get salt water from the street salt into your interior. You can also repair rust damage and then herculine it to stop the spread of the rust if you can scrap/sand etc the rust away and then seal it with Herculiner.

Troy

DSC00054.JPG

Not to steal the thread ,but how well does it hold up to the HEAT. I'm running bare floors and I could cook a pot roast in the passengers side floor.

imma honky said:
Of course it's been done.
Hell, some even line the exterior too.
Takes lots of prep.
It's loud.
It gets hot.
and it's loud.
:lecture: :gag:
OMFG........

I had holes in the floor from the carpet holding water so I had to cut out almost all of the driver's side from just under the pedals to the rear seat. Then I wire wheeled both sides(top and bottom) down to bare metal. This was by far the most work. I coated both sides with POR15 and then used a product called Hippo-Liner from Canadian Tire. It just goes on with a brush or roller, very easy. I just wish I did both sides with the Hippo Liner! I had the tranny and t-case out when I did it. Mine looks much like the above pic except I didn't do the wheel wells. The Hippo Liner I quite durable, I have two dogs and have put my tools in the cargo area and so far so scratches!

I highly recommond it if you get the interior wet often. Downside is that road noise is increased considerably. I'm actually contemplating putting the carpet and underlay back in now that its treated.

thanks IntrepidXJ, looks great

its not really good looks im after,
its just i dont want it to to look like shit.......Literally (except for the brown part)

IntrepidXJ said:
actually holds up well. but i put a heat shield above the cat when I removed the carpet

X2

Rhino smells like caramel cooking when it gets REAL hot, like behind the passenger seat. A heat shield is a requirement.

Rev

It looks fine. I don't think it stopped anymore heat coming through then the bare floor, but it does'nt wear off like the paint on the floor. I installed six boat plug bolts so I can unbolt the holes if I fill it up again.
Most of my prepwork was done with a wire wheel on my 4.5 grinder, followed up with a soapy bath and then acetone.
Sticks fine, no problems, but it's loud with out carpet, and my feet get hot.

I POR'd my old rig, as mentioned before it was hot even with AC running. If you wheel mud you'll love rolling your windows down come summer...wear eye protection.

I ended up putting my carpet back in on top of the POR.

i think im going to go with the POR-15 so i can stop the rust Permanently.
And then put something over that just for the hell of it.

but i think from what i hear, im going to put the carpet back in after im done

How about using something other than a black colored product? I know the big bed liner companies can make all kinds of colors, but is there some off the shelf product that can be used?

I did mine, do a search under my name and you will find the thread on it, without carpet, it is hot and LOUD, but it did stop my rust problem (it was just surface rust but was the beginnings of a problem). Also don't use the duplicolor spray on stuff, it is garbage and chips easily, if you are going to do it, use heculiner or something similar, don't be cheap...

Back