• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

regearing in Pacific Northwest prices, plz help!

93xj-jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,
I have a 93 cherokee with 3" and 31's. I really want to make the jump to 6". Probably the RE 5.5. I will be putting on 33's. The problem is I am trying to find somewhere in the Tacoma, Seattle area of Washington that does regearing with ring and pinion installation. I have called a couple of local shops (billybobs offroad and also called randys ring and pinion) and have been quoted like 1300 and 1400 for installation and parts. I really cannot afford that so I am trying to see if any of you know a place up here where I could get this done at. I thought about doing it myself as I do with all of my other installations but I really have no axle experience and have heard it is very hard. Thanks a lot for your help.

this doesn't belong here... but i would call alignments plus in bellevue, they did mine for a great price, can't post it here

HTH
brandon

did that include any lockers? you should lock your axles while you have them apart. and of course if you're going to be locked on 33s you better have a D44, 8.8, 29 spline 8.25, etc, and 760x joints up front.

labor should run $2-300 per diff, then just add up all the parts, R&P, install kit, lockers, carriers if you're passing a carrier break, etc. One thing you can do to save on install cost is to bring in the axles rather than bringing in the Jeep, shops will usually give a better rate that way.

hey shimmy, i just called alignments plus in bellevue and asked them if they do gear ratio changes and that guy was really rude and was like flat out no.....and basically just hung up. so I dunno whats up with that if you got yours done there?

Brett M, I am thinking about putting in lockers but no that price was not with them. I have a 8.25 with 27 spline. Do you guys think that will hold up with 33s? I do most of my wheeling at Evans Creek and go about twice a month or so and like to run the more difficult trails but am not really hard on my rig. Thanks.

rears and gears in port orchard. the guy quoted me $250 on labor per axle....then i did my own:laugh3:

I paid for my first change from 3.55 to 4.10 on the 8.25 and D-30. Of course those didn;t last. (inchitus) So I spent 300 (half the labor the first time) on the tools to do the job myself. Put 4.56's in an Xj D-44 rear and my D-30. Not a big deal. All the info is out here, It did take me a good week to make sure I was doing it right. In the end, it was quieter then the 8.25 rear end, and I had total confidence I could fix it if there was an issue.
Since then I have done 5 other jeeps in my club and redone mine to 4.88's. It is hard, it is an issue of attention to detail. Did a TJ rear D-60 spool with 5.38's last Nov, took me 5 trys to get it right, but it's the knowledge that that TJ will run for as long as he keeps the gear setup that's cool.
Hit Harbor freight or northern tool, get the tools and give it a try. You'll surprise yourself, I'm sure.
Oh yeah, I have recently signed up to redo a Rubicon W/4.88's and a YJ W/9" and D-44 to 5.38's. I haven't charged anyone in the club as of yet, but I do get the tools replaced if they break during install. Saves the guys in the group a ton of money and we all get to spend more time out on the trail. :)

My $.02

JMotorsprt said:
So Daffy, what kind of bribery would you be interested in down the road to do my XJ?

My shop could do your gears for less than it would cost to travel across the country to have him do them. ;)

Price is important but even more finding someone who can do them well is even more important. check with more than one person local on the quality and car given. the guy that I have do mine is downright anal about getting them spot on, what rear axle? If it's an 8.25 the parts for those get just plain stupid.

how far south are you? and when are you looking at having them done?

hey thanks everyone for all your post so far.

Cherokeekid, I live in Puyallup Washington which is about 15 minutes from Tacoma and 50 from Seattle. I would defiantely be willing to drive about an hour or a little more no problem if the price is right and it will be done right.

I will probably be doing it in about a month or so when I can get some more cash flow.

93xj-jeeper said:
hey thanks everyone for all your post so far.

Cherokeekid, I live in Puyallup Washington which is about 15 minutes from Tacoma and 50 from Seattle. I would defiantely be willing to drive about an hour or a little more no problem if the price is right and it will be done right.

I will probably be doing it in about a month or so when I can get some more cash flow.

i'm gonna do my rear 44, so maybe they'll knock off some $$ if we get ir done together...

brandon

Back