• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's adjustable ca's

WI88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know someone posted something about this some time ago but I can't seem to find it in the search. BUT.......

I put these on about three months ago and I've wheeled the snot out of them at Apple Valley, Badlands and a couple of trips to a friends farm and I'm getting a clunking sound that's coming from the threaded end. I love the improved ride and it flexes pretty good, I just don't want the arms to pull out! :scared: They're pretty course threads for the application, I would think..

anybody else dealing with this?

Steve

PS; they're the lower ca's

No clunking on mine, never have. I've had them for a few years also. You could try to get the jam nuts for them I guess, maybe that would tighten them up and get rid of the clunking. As long as you have enough thread engagement I wouldn't worry about them pulling out, that thread is REALLY course, but I think that was intentional. It seems to me that it would be harder to pull those out do to the height of the thread, then it would to a fine thread.

check bushings
add the jamnuts
put a little grease in the bushing sleve

Okay,

NHxj4x4, you're theory on the course thread makes sense. That must be the case or they would have lawsuits up the wazzoo.

Footdale and Ranger, bushings are brand new (on pretty much everything) and I am a religious believer in greasing everything!! And I seem to remember the fellow that posted a while back said he remedied it by using a jam nut and not too long after he tore the end on the diff side off. Had pics too.

I mean, if it's all noise and nothing to worry about I can just ignore it like I do with all the other rattles and noises :) .

Steve

I contacted Rusty on my LCA's that are clucking. He said to make sure they are the same length. He said that even 1/8 could cause clucking. He also said to grease them up good with a Heavy duty Lithium grease. Just passing on what the guy who built them said. I have greased mine but haven't check the length yet. I still have a clunk that I live with.

Mine are the same length. With the course thread, just one turn is about 1/8". I use a synthetic grease on everything. Maybe I'll try a heaver grease. How long have you had yours on Tripletsjeepin? I guess I could live with ONE more noise.... ;)

tripletsjeepin said:
I contacted Rusty on my LCA's that are clucking. He said to make sure they are the same length. He said that even 1/8 could cause clucking. He also said to grease them up good with a Heavy duty Lithium grease. Just passing on what the guy who built them said. I have greased mine but haven't check the length yet. I still have a clunk that I live with.

Make sure they are greased. And re-torque the bolts. My long arm set up makes noise from time to time, it's usually time to add a few squirts, or they are loose.
Jam Nuts will quiet the arms down, just don;t wheel with them tight.
Call Rusty and ask him, he'll take the time to give his advice.

I got mine used so i couldn't tell you how old they are. Got them for $20. I have had them for over a month now and I'm getting use to them clunking. Grease does make a little bit of difference.

Back