• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior differences between the 2 door and 4 door XJs 84-96'

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Interior differences between the 2 door and 4 door XJs 84-96'. I know the front seatbelt is different and the 2 door has a bigger door. I got a D&C interior cage and wasn't sure how it would fit. I don't plan on using my rear bench seat and making my 2 door XJ a 2 seater.

Here is the link to the cage:

http://www.dandcextreme.com/product.asp?pkID=126

what part concerns you?

The A pillar forward is the same, the B pillar back is the same. The tunnel and consule are the same, and roof dimensions all the other stuff is the same.
I think the seats, seats mounts and the obvious back windows being one window are the only difference. Plus the seat belt like you said.

There is some difference in the plastic trim paneling thickness on the B-pillar from the top of the front seats to the floor. If there is a main hoop in that kit that runs around the B-pillar, the hoop needs to be wider at the base for a 4-dr than for a 2-dr. When I had my 2-dr measured for a cage at S&W Race Cars, a friend brought his 4-dr XJ along as well. The engineer started measuring my Jeep, but then he checked it against my friends 4-dr XJ and found that the plastic at the B-pillar bubbles out more on the 2-dr than on the 4-dr. Final design was done with the 4-dr width. When I got the cage, it still wasn't wide enough (they were too conservative with their dimensions) and I had to modify it further. That was the only difference between the two though (besides the others already mentioned).

HTH's
Andy

I put a S&W cage in mine(92 2 door) and it seemed to fit fine. I just ordered the one they made for the XJ and had no problems installing. I don't think any cages are made to the exact dimesions of the vehicles interior. If you have your cage, do some measuring and find out. If not, call D&C and get some dimensions.

I gave them some feedback after they designed mine and I installed it, and they made some improvements. You probably got the cage with the improvements.

Andy

Andy in Pa. said:
I gave them some feedback after they designed mine and I installed it, and they made some improvements. You probably got the cage with the improvements.

Andy

Did you get your cage from D & C? These people:
http://www.dandcextreme.com/product.asp?pkID=126

That's the cage I have. I just got it and know I will probably lose access to my rear bench seat, but I don't use it anyways so that's fine. I got it for 1/2 price from someone selling it so I was just hoping it would work for me.

Troy

O.k. thanks guys. I don't care if I have to remove the inner trim to get it to fit right? Also if I lose access to my rear bench seat, I don't use it anyways and leave it folded down. This is my trail rig so I could use the extra space anyways by keeping the back rest folded flat down. My jeep is all about function over fashion. :laugh3:

Troy

motorcityxj said:
what part concerns you?

The A pillar forward is the same, the B pillar back is the same. The tunnel and consule are the same, and roof dimensions all the other stuff is the same.
I think the seats, seats mounts and the obvious back windows being one window are the only difference. Plus the seat belt like you said.

Thats incorrect,the B pillar is about 10" further back on a 2dr!

I would think it should fit fine.. it wont follow the same contours, as the B-pillar is farther back, but the distance from the A-Pillar to the C-Pillar is the same.. if there is a problem, I would assume its going to be with the seatbelts. Go 4/5 point harness' and you should be golden.

Is there a difference in the seats and/or the mounting of the seats between the 2 dr and 4 dr? I'm planning on using 95' reclining seats from a 4 dr. I know I will not be able to recline them, but that's o.k. I also expect to lose access to my rear bench seat, but I don't use it anyways and have the back rest folded flat anyways. So that's fine. I called D&C and talked to Damien there and he told me that the front spreaders from the front hoop on the windshield/dash to the hoop behind the front seats will be shorter in the 4 door due to the smaller doors. He said that I could lengthen the spreaders a bit to accomodate the bigger dr in the 2 dr model, but it should work as is, it might be a bit weird with the bar showing in the front door opening, but I think I can accept that. I got this kit for 1/2 the price of buying it new from D&C and will accept the differences between the 2 dr to 4 dr if it will still provide the safety I'm seeking.

My questions really comes down to:
1) Is the cage designed around the interior to be out of the way as possible or to work with the "A" and "B" pillars and further strengthen them, or both?

2) Is there a difference in size and mounting to the floor between the 2 dr and 4 dr XJ models? I plan to use 4 dr 95-96' reclining seats in my 91' 2 dr.

I plan to further enhance the interior cage with an exterior cage and to tie the interior floor mounts into the frame/rock sliders.

Troy

The seats,seat mount track,and the actual location is the same.I have both a 2dr and a 4dr,my concern is that the roll bar would be side my head!
Btw,I just started doing some lay-out work for my cage on the Cheromanche!
seat pics w/ links

Last edited:
Back