• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few issues during my wheeling trip today...

AndrewXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I am going to try to explain this the best I can. Two things that are kind of bothering me. When I was hitting dips and holes on the trails, the front of my Jeep was making a clunking noise as the springs compressed from hitting the dips or the holes (no disco's). Is this normal on an XJ? I have stock LCA's. Also, when I was going through some water, I sank pretty far and then as I climbed out of the water onto the bank, my Jeep decided to go into neutral, like the driveshafts both fell out. I held the brake to keep my Jeep from rolling back into the water, put it in park and then back in drive, and it went fine. Both of this has happened before while wheeling and I want to see what I can do. Maybe it is neccessary to have an SYE on my Jeep? Right now it's at 3" and a transfer case drop. I get no vibes whatsoever under regular driving conditions. Also, I am thinking of taking off my fender flares. How will my Jeep look without them? I just keep knocking them off anyway... TIA Fellas..

AndrewXJ said:
When I was hitting dips and holes on the trails, the front of my Jeep was making a clunking noise as the springs compressed from hitting the dips or the holes (no disco's). Is this normal on an XJ?

mine does this. on mine it's the driver side coil spring making contact with the trackbar bracket. it's not hurting anything, so I just live with the noise

I had a simmilar clunking sound. When I went with my new lift, I got a better trackbar. Mine was comming from the axle and mount ends being loose. Also added BPEs on the front and no more clunking.

Intrepid - Mine did this on the first trip out after I lifted it. If you have an adjustable track bar, you can move the front end over enough to make it stop. If you look straight on... you may notice one tire sticking out past the flare farther than the other one.

Harvo said:
Intrepid - Mine did this on the first trip out after I lifted it. If you have an adjustable track bar, you can move the front end over enough to make it stop. If you look straight on... you may notice one tire sticking out past the flare farther than the other one.

i have an adjustable trackbar, and my axle is dead center under the jeep. it's not a big deal

As far as the water issue goes, I would say that its possible the throttle possition sensor got wet and temporarily shorted. This sensor(mounted on the throttle body) can cause the auto to slip when it acts up. Check the seal on the wiring for this sensor. If you still have problems, I would highly recommend checking the ATF. IF its Pepto pink not red you will need to do a fluid & filter change and also move the vent tube to higher ground.

Just as a guess, have you checked the trany fluid level lately? If you went into the water hole, and it was steep coming out, a low fluid level would make it feel like that. Just a guess.

Back