• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking Brake help

appstatexj

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday the release button on my parking brake release lever broke where it attatches to the shaft, sending the spring and the button flying (very entertaining). I honestly have no clue how to fix this since it looks like one pre-assemble unit or something similar. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

appstatexj said:
Yesterday the release button on my parking brake release lever broke where it attatches to the shaft, sending the spring and the button flying (very entertaining). I honestly have no clue how to fix this since it looks like one pre-assemble unit or something similar. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
get a new parking brake

find the spring
get a washer
find a nut or something that you can force onto those ridges (I actually filed down the ridges and threaded the rod)
push it in, jbweld in place

This has come up from time-to-time; without searching I seem to recall a few of the folks saying they've JB Welded their buttons back on while another Jeeper mentioned something about having to use both hands to release the brake. Might I suggest you use the Search button and some of the terms you mentioned?

I tried searching, but nothing really matches my problem. The actual button broke on my lever, the parking brake's stuck open and can't be applied. The rod's intact, the plastic of the button broke at the top of the rod, so there's still some plastic pressed (threaded?) onto the rod. I'd tried to glue it, but I doubt it would hold up under the tension of the spring. Thanks to those who have already replied, like I said before I'm stumped.

When the button on my 98 popped out and hit the dash [square button on them] I had a new EB lever installed, $80 at dealer, took the old one home and made a replacment button out of a piece of aluminum then epoxyed it in. My replacment has been fine but I still have that spare sitting on the workbench just in case. Oh, that rod is NOT threaded, it is ridged..
If you do decide to epoxy the broken button back in you will need to put enough epoxy to reinforce the void but not too much or you will epoxy the button to the shaft... Whoever designed that plastic button was an asshat...leaving all that open webbing in there.

Back