• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bump steer and ARB lights

ckh550

NAXJA Forum User
questions:

1) I seem to have some 'bump steer' or wandering when i'm at highway speeds. It pulls slightly to one side then all of a sudden jerks hard to one direction. It's random, not just when i hit a huge pothole. I don't think its alignment because it pulls to both sides. I have a 4.5" lift and 33" Claws, would a drop pitman arm help correct this?

2) Anybody have the installation and wiring instructions for the ARB Bull bar turn signals for a 2000 XJ? No idea where the wiring goes.

Any tips would be welcome. Thanks folks.

chris

Sometimes running a lower psi can help bump steer... air down a little and see what happens...

Your 4.5" lift didn't come with a drop pitman?

Seems the best way to fight bumpsteer is parallel angles on the trackbar and the draglink...

Steering dampner can sometimes help...

aligned after lift?

The drop pitman isn't needed in most XJ lifts because the trackbar isn't moved. However, if the plane of the trackbar changes because of a lower mount then you need a drop pitman to put both back in the same plane again. Simply adding a drop pitman because of a lift is often going to cause more problems than it fixes.

DID you get it aligned?

You really don't need to post this question twice in the same forum...

If www.arbusa.com doesn't have what you need about the second issue, see if there's something along those lines on gojeep's site.

whatever you have, that's not bumpsteer. My guess is it had more to do with those Claws wanting to follow grooves or ruts in the road than anything else. Have the alignment checked, and maybe invest in a good steering stabilizer.

Jason is correct. What you have is not bump steer, so searching on corrections for bump steer will not help you.

Have the alignment re-checked, and post the results. (The actual numbers, not just "The guy said it's okay.")

You'll have to solder the wires to your current indicators. It worked OK for a while for me, then died - but I suspect that's got more to do with me rather than the wiring. You may end up with issues concerning the indicator relay: is you do, try swapping the indicator and hazard relays around, since the hazard relays are meant to handle 4 lights at a time, then get a duplicate to go in the empty slot.

Back