• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What locker??? So many choices so little...

saltilloxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ on 30s it has the stock Dana 35c in the rear. I want a locker I have been surfing Ebay and there are quite a few choices. The only thing out I think is the ARB air locker because of cost. SO my question to everyone is of the budget lockers what should I get? Does anyone have any experience with the Powertrack No Slip? C'mon guys you are just full of information help a poor guy lock his loved Jeep!

The Power Trac no slip is a good locker, I had 1 in my 8.25 rear axle. It is a little more civilized than the lock rite, which is about $100 or so cheaper. I would recogment it, but the lock rite is also good, just clicks a bit more. The ARB is very nice for the 30, I had it in mine and didn't have any problems on 35" mtrs on the Rubicon/Fordyce trails here in Northern California. It is pricey, but nice because you save a lot of wear and tear on your dana 30 by only flipping on the locker when you need it. For a budget the no slip or lock rite is a good choice. You will not notice is that much in 2 wheel drive mode. Do some searches on it, this has been talked about alot.

Troy

i have run a no-slip in my d35 for 4years now and i like it. after the initial break in , it is quiet and still working. a d35 , locker , big tires and hard use will probably wear out or break( the axle) sooner than you want. if you rock crawl, i would get a stronger axle(d-44 etc.) before i sunk a bunch of money in it. i sunk a bunch of money in mine years ago, before i knew any better and maintenance is getting more frequent as time goes on. 33 inch tire or smaller, an automatic, and a fairly light right foot and it may live a few years of off road use? if i was suggesting things on any axle i would....Detroit locker( that takes care of weak stock carrier) aftermarket axle shafts and a strong truss for safe off-road use. if it's more of a daily driver, then Tru-trac's front and rear would be good. my $ .02.........

I've been very happy with my no-slip in my 8 1/4. Easy install and street friendly. I'm thinking about getting the same for my front end.

This is entirely based on my semi-informed opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I've never owned a fully-locked XJ. My last one had open diffs; the 2000 I have now has a factory Trac-Lok in the rear. Both were running D35s in the rear.

Quite honestly, if you've got a D35 rear you're probably better off with limited-slip as opposed to a selectable locker. The D35 is notoriously weak (particularly with larger tires and deeper gears), and if you're running stuff that really needs a locker you're likely better off replacing the axle with something stronger.

Having said that, there's no comparison between what I'm able to do with a limited-slip D35 vs. a fully-open axle. In mud and sand, the Trac-Lok beats the sh*t out of the fully-open diff.

Again... I've never had a fully-locked XJ, but if I were going to go that route I'd swap out (at least) the rear axle for something stronger instead of locking the D35. Other people may have different opinions, but it is something to consider.

I Just Went Out Yesterday For The First Time (off-road)with A "no-slip" Powertrax In My Dana 35. It Worked Great! I'm Just A Beginner
At This Stuff, So I Can't Say What's Best, But I'm Happy With It On And Off Road.
Norm

Back