• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Gears, shifting RPM

Are we drag racing ?Auto ? Stick, ? shift when you want.Auto may need the TV cable adjusted to raise the shift point.
Wayne

Check the TV cable and your TPS might be off some too.

How far do you have to get off the throttle before it shifts?

Full-throttle, shifts at 4500 RPM sounds about right. I wouldn't make a habit out of it, though.

That is what I was after. I don't. Just testing out the new swap. If I'm going easy it seems to shift about right. Just does it a lot sooner with these gears.
Guess I'll be using OD now.
Thanks

could be that your speedos off, doesnt that affect shift points? put in a new gear yet

Get a chance swing by the house. Got the 4.56's installed.

cool i'll give ya a call later

Oh yeah the speedo's off, but I'm going by the tach. It is like 5 miles per hours at 30 and about 10 at 45. Clocked it with my wifes Olds last night. Hey Nash did you go from 3.55 to 4.56 ? Tell me some things you noticed if you did. I'm not complaining with mines ,there are just things that are different I need to get used too. Off Road is where I'm really looking forward to it. Got a run next weekend.
Thanks

boise49ers said:
Oh yeah the speedo's off, but I'm going by the tach. It is like 5 miles per hours at 30 and about 10 at 45. Clocked it with my wifes Olds last night. Hey Nash did you go from 3.55 to 4.56 ? Tell me some things you noticed if you did. I'm not complaining with mines ,there are just things that are different I need to get used too. Off Road is where I'm really looking forward to it. Got a run next weekend.
Thanks

Let me know what gear you need. I have a few laying around.

Hey Lincoln can I get that speedo in the right place meaning reading right ?Maybe I'll make a trip over and see what you have. I'm assuming it is a gear in the speedometer hook up at the trans ? They have a run over here Next Saturday with Idaho4x4 if your interested. Hell you may already be planning on it.

boise49ers said:
Hey Lincoln can I get that speedo in the right place meaning reading right ?Maybe I'll make a trip over and see what you have. I'm assuming it is a gear in the speedometer hook up at the trans ? They have a run over here Next Saturday with Idaho4x4 if your interested. Hell you may already be planning on it.

Go out and run it up to highway speeds and find the exact percentage it is off. Find out what gear is in it now, on the tcase where the cable hooks up. Since you will be putting it right back in check the indexing and put it back in the same place. The housing that the cable hooks to can be indexed to accomodate different gears. Count the teeth and times that by your percentage to find what gear you need.

In your example (assuming it is 10 high at 45). You need to verify that because I really doubt it's that far off unless the gear has been changed before.
55/45 = 1.2222
28 tooth gear (probably somewhere around there)
28*1.2222 = 34.22 gear needed.

The only one I have in Boise is the one that needs to be replaced. I've been to lazy to pull it out and check what I have in there now. I've just been spot checking it with a GPS.

Where is Idaho 4x4 going next weekend? Wasn't planning on going.

Give me a call if you want. It's a quick job.

You may be right because it bounces around like it's on crack. I hate my speedometer.

AW-4
np231

I'll tell you what transformations have taken place. It was a factory 3.55. I added 31 inch tires. That dropped my speed reading. I kept 31's and have went to 4.56. Where is it you live again ? Wasn't it Mountain Home or Twin ? They are running Robbie Creek. It is a pretty easy run. Good test run though , they say it is open to all levels. My son is taking his open XJ.

Thanks

Ah, 31's and 4.56's. You could be off that but I bet it's around 17%. I'm 19% over with 35's and 5.38's. I might end up using the one you need for mine.

I'm here in Boise, but I'm from down around Twin. That's where a bunch of my parts are stored.

Robbie Creek doesn't sound like much fun. Used to spend a bunch of time up there but the traffic keeps me from going back. Might not be bad this time of year though.

Back