• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC and Elec. fan stopped.

5150xj

NAXJA Member # 1215
All of the sudden my AC stopped pumping cold, and my elec. fan does not run with the AC control on. I tested the fan its fine. But I did notice that my AC clutch is not being activated by the AC controls. I checked fuses, all ok. Am I looking at replacing the ventilation controls on the dash? If so do I replace the whole thing or is there a switch that is servicable? Any ideas would be appreciated. Its a 92 4.0 5spd.

Thanks
Tim D

Dr. Dyno said:
The A/C relay has probably blown so I think you should check that and replace it if necessary.

Would that also affect the fan? I thought they were on diffrent relays.
Thanks
Tim D

Dr. Dyno said:
The A/C relay has probably blown so I think you should check that and replace it if necessary.

Also is there a way to test the relay?

Thanks again
Tim D

Dr. Dyno said:

Replaced the relay. That was not it. Thanks anyway. Any other Ideas.

Thanks
Tim D

Does the AC still blow cold??

If it doesn't, it sounds like you need to recharge it. There is a low pressure switch in the AC that also controls the electric fan. If I remember right its right up front by the sight glass on the passenger side.

On an 88 you can unplug and jumper the 2 terminals on it for at least testing purposes.

wrong1 said:
Does the AC still blow cold??

If it doesn't, it sounds like you need to recharge it. There is a low pressure switch in the AC that also controls the electric fan. If I remember right its right up front by the sight glass on the passenger side.

On an 88 you can unplug and jumper the 2 terminals on it for at least testing purposes.

AC does not blow cold, but the AC clutch does not engage. Would the clutch still activate if it was low on freon? I dont recall a sight glass on mine. But I will check it out.
Thanks
Tim D

On mine the clutch would not engage if freon was low, this is to prevent damage to the compressor when the freon is low.

Look for 2 wires comming from the accumulator (??), the over sized soup can just behind and below the compressor on the passenger side. The connector just pops off the switch there. Just jumper them together for testing purposes.

BE CAREFUL, I did this with the engine running and the AC on max, as soon as I jumpered it the clutch and the electric fan engaged.

wrong1 said:
On mine the clutch would not engage if freon was low, this is to prevent damage to the compressor when the freon is low.

Look for 2 wires comming from the accumulator (??), the over sized soup can just behind and below the compressor on the passenger side. The connector just pops off the switch there. Just jumper them together for testing purposes.

BE CAREFUL, I did this with the engine running and the AC on max, as soon as I jumpered it the clutch and the electric fan engaged.

Tried this. Neither the fan or the AC clutch activated. Other ideas?

Thanks
Tim D

Just charge it with a can of r134a. They sell the kits at all auto parts stores.
One or 2 cans should do it.
You'll see everything come back on again as normal. I've had to do this a million times on various cars and trucks.

Depending on year (pre 93) you'll have to get a nipple adapter kit.

Super easy to do.

Now to hijack the thread.

I thought you weren't supposed to mix R12 with R134A and I believe with him having a 92 it might be R12.

If it is, get the kit and pay a couple bucks to have the system evacuuated when you convert to R134A. I worked for an appliance store when I did mine and paid the fridge tech a 6 pack for him to do it for me.

Couldn't tell you the long term results of the conversion. I had it in my bomb for about a month no problems before somebody stole it.

wrong1 said:
Now to hijack the thread.

I thought you weren't supposed to mix R12 with R134A and I believe with him having a 92 it might be R12.

If it is, get the kit and pay a couple bucks to have the system evacuuated when you convert to R134A. I worked for an appliance store when I did mine and paid the fridge tech a 6 pack for him to do it for me.

Couldn't tell you the long term results of the conversion. I had it in my bomb for about a month no problems before somebody stole it.

I dont think low freon is the problem. Reason being on my way to work this morning I found out that my cruise control also is not working. So what ties all three of these things together? Is there some type of circuit breaker that they all run on or??? I guess I will try rechecking fuses again.

Tim D

I've mixed r-12 and 134a many times. No problems.
Not sure if the cruise is tied into it. But if it were me, I'd start with adding some AC freon and go from there.

After looking at wiring diagrams for about an hour, the only thing I can see that the 3 systems have in common is the ECU. Is there anyway of testing an ECU? Can the dealer even test it?

Tim D

hi
dont go changing the computer just yet. you can check the signal wires going to and from the computer to know weather the problem is the signal getting to the computer or (worse case) the signal not leaving. i am assuming that you have wiring diagrams. the olny thing else you need is a test light/meter.
good luck.

A friend has the same problem with his '88. We were just beginning to troubleshoot the fan when I came across this thread. Never thought about the two symptoms being related. Was there any successful conclusion to this? Does anyone have any more suggestions?

It turned out to be the reverse light switch on the trans. It was shorting to ground and blowing a fuse (yes I know I said I checked them all, oops). Anyway we unpluged the switch and no more problems. AC and cruise work great. No backup lights right now, but they were never bright enough for anything anyway.

Tim D

Matt_E said:
A friend has the same problem with his '88. We were just beginning to troubleshoot the fan when I came across this thread. Never thought about the two symptoms being related. Was there any successful conclusion to this? Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Did that get your electric fan running too?

My friend also has a bad switch in the trans making his reverse lights only come on part way through neutral and reverse.

Sounds like two different problems. First, charge the AC or at least have it checked. The cruise runs using vacuum, so check the vacuum at an idle and post the reading.

Back