• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instaling waterpump, first time.

Snarky

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on instaling a new water pump some time this week. It has started to leak, and I have been told that when it starts to leak that means that the impeller is wearing out and basicaly its time for a new one. Im sure its the water pump leaking because I have been too the dealership and another local repair shop for other maintenance, and they have both pointed it out. Also I have been thinking about buying the FlowKooler waterpump instead of the Mopar one. Has anyone else used this waterpump, and is it a good replacement? Basically I wanted to know if there is anything I should know about before installing it, I don’t want to install it and have problems afterwards because of a simple but common mistake novices like me would make.

1993 Cherokee sport
213,000 miles
Inline six, 4.0

Make sure the gasket surface is clean and dry

I put a super thin coat of RVT on both sides of my gasket or you could do all RTV

Dont over tighten the bolts when installing I stopped when I felt it make contact and gave it a good 1/4-1/2 turn let if sit for 1/2 hour then gave it another short turn there probably a specified tourqe you could go by also

You may want to put a new thermostat in while your at it and any worn hoses

The waterpump is pretty easy you shouldnt have any trouble with it

As for FlowKooler or Mopar cant help you there I got a $35 NAPA one

You may want to try a search as well thers tons of Waterpump threads -

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48897&highlight=waterpump
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35952&highlight=waterpump
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30555&highlight=waterpump
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16230&highlight=waterpump

TORX

If you're in the Tempe/Phoenix area I can help you out if you run into troubles. It's a fairly straightforward job.

Run a search on Flowkooler and you'll find varying opinions on that brand.

Summer's coming and so you may want to replace other things while tooling around in that area.

I've read on other threads that if your not going with a larger capacity radiator, don't go with the Flowkooler. I'm putting the Flowkooler on my CJ, but also going with a 3 core radiator.
Good Luck
Ken

While your there you might as well replace the pipe that goes in the pump that feeds the heater,This and a new factory thermostat,radiator hoses and a flushing of the heater core with clean water will have you trouble free for years.
Wayne

Snarky said:
I plan on instaling a new water pump some time this week. It has started to leak, and I have been told that when it starts to leak that means that the impeller is wearing out and basicaly its time for a new one. Im sure its the water pump leaking because I have been too the dealership and another local repair shop for other maintenance, and they have both pointed it out. Also I have been thinking about buying the FlowKooler waterpump instead of the Mopar one. Has anyone else used this waterpump, and is it a good replacement? Basically I wanted to know if there is anything I should know about before installing it, I don’t want to install it and have problems afterwards because of a simple but common mistake novices like me would make.

1993 Cherokee sport
213,000 miles
Inline six, 4.0

The Flowkooler water pump is great especially in the summer so go for it. You can also order a Robertshaw 195* t'stat from http://www.flowkooler.com
Replace both radiator hoses (especially the lower one) and use a 50:50 mix of anti-freeze: distilled water.

tinker said:
I've read on other threads that if your not going with a larger capacity radiator, don't go with the Flowkooler. I'm putting the Flowkooler on my CJ, but also going with a 3 core radiator.
Good Luck
Ken

Thanks for the heads up, i think ill e-mail Flowkooler and ask them about this problem. Ill post it on this thread once they reply.

TORX said:
Make sure the gasket surface is clean and dry

I put a super thin coat of RVT on both sides of my gasket or you could do all RTV

Dont over tighten the bolts when installing I stopped when I felt it make contact and gave it a good 1/4-1/2 turn let if sit for 1/2 hour then gave it another short turn there probably a specified tourqe you could go by also

You may want to put a new thermostat in while your at it and any worn hoses

The waterpump is pretty easy you shouldnt have any trouble with it

As for FlowKooler or Mopar cant help you there I got a $35 NAPA one

You may want to try a search as well thers tons of Waterpump threads -

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48897&highlight=waterpump
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35952&highlight=waterpump
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30555&highlight=waterpump
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16230&highlight=waterpump

TORX

Thanks for the links to the other threads and your info! I tryed to search the FAQ but it kept saying nothing was found under "Water pump" and "FlowKooler". The threads are helpfull and have links to other web sites that show you how to install the waterpump. Thanks!

Dont search the FAQ just use the search button next to "new posts" and "quick links"

23p64h

TORX

I replaced mine about a year and a half ago. I used the Mopar one (from NAPA) and it worked great. Deffianiately replace the thermostat while you're in there.

I had two painful experiences while changing the pump. First was getting the pully wheel off after I removed the bolts (I have a 96 Sport) and it was about bonded to the water pump. After trying to pry it off, I finally hit with a ballpin hammer a few times (the frustration came to a head) and amazingly it popped off and wasn't even distorted (very lucky for me). The second was after I'd gotten it back together I forgot to put the heater pipe back on first (before I installed the new pipe). I'd already RTV'ed and bolted the pump in and I did want to have to do it all over again so I bent the pipe, screw it into the pump and then bend it back the best I could. I ended up replacing it with two pieces of steel water pipe and an elbow that I got from Lowes.

Also the gasket that came with my pump had a peel and stick side. I recommend RTV'ing each side anyway to be on the safe side.

Have fun with it!

When I changed my Waterpump I did a lot of other stuff while I had it apart. With the age and miles on your XJ I'd consider replacing the radaitor while you are at it, especially if it is the factory radiator With the radiator removed you will have plenty of room to work.

I'd change the radiator, water pump, and thermostat. While changing those I'd insall new radiator hoses, heater hoses, radiator cap, fan clutch, fan belt, idle pullies.

I used dealer gaskets for the water pump, and thermostat. I used dealer hoses for the radiator and heater hoses. I used a dealer radiator cap but I have the closed system on my 88 XJ, you have the open but while you are at the dealer getting the other stuff get a radiator cap it can't be that much.

I had a GDI 3-row for 4 years, but now have a Modine 2-row radiator. I am more impressed with the Modine. I use Distilled water along with the coolant. A guy I use to work at a Nuclear Power plant told me to use distilled water in my car, for the 80 cents/gallon you can't go wrong. It avoids deposits on your new components so the heat exchange process works well.

When you do decide to do this job, make sure you loosen the 4 bolts on the water pump pulley before you remove the fan belt.

While you have the fan belt off turn all your pullies to see if anything is rough, I'd change all the idle pullies as preventive maintenance. I also ended up changing the bearing for the mechanical fan. To chage that you have to buy the AC bracket from the dealer to get the new bearing, you have to buy the next higher assembly, not just the part you want.

If your XJ uses the power steering pump to tension the belt then go to NAPA and buy the Kriket II belt tension tool and use that to install the NEW fan belt you will be installing. I have been using Goodyear belts, I like how they run more quiet than other belts.

I will disagree with people on applying "stuff" to the gaskets. The Dealer gaskets come with RTV silicone on one side. I installed them and have had no problem. I have heard applying sealant to both sides of a gasket actually allows it to float and it never makes contact with the two mating components. I recommend you install as they come out of the box, I did and have no regrets.

Also with the dealer water pump gasket they give you the torque specs. So you will need a torque wrench able to do 10-20 ft lbs. I think using the right torque is most important. So go out to sears and buy a torque wrench if you don't have one... another reason to buy a tool!!!!!!

I think a cooling system renewal is a good thing, once you do it then you won't have to worry for years other than maintain the coolant level.

As usual Martin covers all the bases. I have been through too many pumps and questioned why. I started buying reconditioned ones with lifetime warrenty. They don't cover the work involved in changes. My last purchase was a FlowKool. That was 30K ago. Would I buy another one? Probably not. I would rather spend the difference in the money on the replacements Martin suggested.

I think one of the most important steps of installation is making sure the belt is tensioned correctly. If you don't use the KlickIt, you are shooting in the dark. If you over tension the belt you could be forcing an early failure of the bearing in the water pump, hence the leak. The leak is caused by the seal of the bearing failing which could be caused by the bearing getting loose.

tinker said:
Good Luck
Ken

Well im happy that you pointed this out. As I said I would, I E-Mailed FlowKooler and this is what they had to say:

"If you have a radiator that is exceptionally old or small, our water
pump can essentially overwhelm the radiator with too much water; the
water moves too quickly through the radiator, and does not cool down.
However, as long as you have a stock radiator that is in good working
order, you will not have a problem installing our water pump."

With an old radiator im not going to take a chance, expecialy being that I live in Arizona and summer is comming. Thanks for pointing that out.

I went with a FlowKooler on my 89 XJ and am very pleased. I have had it in there for about a year now. In the summer, with AC on and sitting in traffic, I might push 210. Normally runs right around 195-200.
BSD

BS!!

"the water moves too quickly through the radiator, and does not cool down."

There could be a problem, but tell them if they dont know what it is they shouldn't make stuff up.

I've been running a Flowkooler water pump for five years in combination with the 13-year-old OEM 2-row radiator, 180* t'stat, and dual electric fans. I've never been happier with my cooling system ('92 XJ) and it works very well in keeping my stroker cool. You could do a lot worse than follow my example.

Back