• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluid Helllllllllp!

jeepbme

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is question is posted all over this newsgroup, and my retarded a** hasnt purchased a owners manual since buying this jeep.
97 XJ 4.0 HO 116000 miles
Automatic
8.25 Chys Rear
Dana Front

What type of trans fluid / filter: called four dealerships and got four responses.
All said the trans filter was not in stock. Said is has "flush filter" which is not usually changed. Just drain and fill - roughly 2qts. Correct??

Descreptancy came with type:
2 dealers said: ATF +4
2 dealerships said: Dex 3

1 Said ATF+4 or ATF Mobil ATF+3

Whats the deal?

Axles take 75 /140 rear
80/90 front .

INPUT PLEASE!!!

Dextron III/Mercon

2 quarts sounds a little low - I don't rembmer offhand though. One point to remember though, the add mark on the dipstick means add one PINT, not a quart.

The filter is a standard auto transmission screen type filter, not necessary to change them all the time. If you do not know the history of the vehicle or have reason to believe it may be dirty go ahead and do it, just drop the pan and get it done.

Generally auto parts store carry the Fram branded filter, the part number is FT1102. The AW4 transmission is the only auto that was ever put into the 4.0 Litre XJ for the entire life of teh vehicle.

The AW4 will do fine on DexronIII or DexronIV, but it does NOT like any synthetic!

Find a large magnet and let the fluid drain over it. If there is a lot of "fuzz" on the magnet, then drop the pan and clean everything. If it is the first time you are changing the fluid, drop the pan and change the gasket, clean the magnet in the pan, and maybe rinse out the filter. After that, it is not necessary to pull the pan everytime you change the fluid. (and that's why there a drain plug for our convenience...)

The AW4 is a dead reliable box, and will take care of you if maintained correctly. Mainly, it's just a matter of changing the fluid every 30K or so, and installing a cooler if you plan to tow or haul much (or if you 'crawl a lot - the low forward speeds don't help cooling with the OEM setup much...) Remember, HEAT IS THE ENEMY! Since the fluid keeps the clutches cool (all 25 or so of them) and drains the heat out of the torque converter, that heat has to go somewhere, and it's best that it leaves the transmission system entirely.

A regular service fill is right about four quarts, after you've pulled the plug. Give the fluid time to make it down when you're filling, as automatics have a tendency to hold a little (since you fill them thru the dipstick tube) and can "belch" if you hurry.

Again - NO SYNTHETIC IN THE TRANSMISSION! You can use them everywhere else. This is based upon "reports from the field", and complaints included things like reduced fuel mileage, odd, early, or late shifting, and an increase in engine temperature (indicating an increase in transmission temperature due to extra clutch slippage.)

5-90

jeepbme said:
I know this is question is posted all over this newsgroup, and my retarded a** hasnt purchased a owners manual since buying this jeep.
97 XJ 4.0 HO 116000 miles
Automatic
8.25 Chys Rear
Dana Front

What type of trans fluid / filter: called four dealerships and got four responses.
All said the trans filter was not in stock. Said is has "flush filter" which is not usually changed. Just drain and fill - roughly 2qts. Correct??

Descreptancy came with type:
2 dealers said: ATF +4
2 dealerships said: Dex 3

1 Said ATF+4 or ATF Mobil ATF+3

Whats the deal?

Axles take 75 /140 rear
80/90 front .

INPUT PLEASE!!!
My '01 owners manual says ATF+4 for the 2.5 litre and MerconDexronIII for the 4.0...why there is so much confusion, I have no idea

Back