• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accronyms?

Looks like they hit most of the highlights, but I'd like to toss these out as well...

NSS - Neutral Safety Switch. Commonly referred to with the AW4 four-speed automatic (1987-up XJ/MJ w/4.0 and AT) this is the quarter-round shaped switch located on the passenger side of the transmission case, mounted to the shift shaft (the shifter cable goes to the shift shaft on the driver's side.) Typically costs $300 to replace, or $5-10 to clean (depending on what you have to go buy vs. what you already have on hand.)

CPS - Crankshaft Position Sensor. Located at 1100 on the bellhousing at the rear of the engine (viewed from rear,) this sensor reads the flywheel and sends the timing pulses for the ignition and fuel injection system. Failed CPS WILL result in a "no start" condition!

"Sync" Sensor - found under the distributor rotor (usually,) this sensor tells the ECM whent he #1 cylinder is ready to fire. Failure here can cause "hard start" or "no start" condition, depending upon electronics.

RENIX - The early 4.0 control system for ignition and fuel injection, buily by Bendix under contract to Renault. Used from 1987-1990, and considered alternately to be the best/worst control system used.

OBD - OnBoard Diagnostics. 1991-1995 XJ/MJ used OBD Generation One (OBD-I) and 1996-up used OBD Generation Two (OBD-II.) More complex than "pre-OBD" systems like RENIX, the systems are self-diagnosing and "throw codes" for problems found within the system. Older systems (like RENIX) require some troubleshooting and mechanical know-how for service, but can be done. Note that the MIL (Maintenance Indicator Light) did not exist on the XJ/MJ until 1991.

Dxx - refers to various models of axle built by Dana/Spicer. Typically seen here are D30 (front axle)/D35 (early rear axle, replaced by Chrysler 8.25")/D44 (found on some eraly trailer tow packages, but can be swappedi n front or rear, and often found in both places) and ocasionally D60 (heavy-duty rear axle.)

NPxxx/NPxxxx/NVxxx/NVxxxx/NVGxxx/NVGxxxx - referring to various transfer cases and manual transmissions manufactured by New Process Gear - Syracuse, NJ. Three-digit numbers are typically transfer cases, and four-digit numbers for transmissions. Typically seen in association with Jeeps in general (and XJ's in particular) are NV3500/3550/4500 and sometimes 5600 (a heavy-duty six-speed, found behind FS Dodge w/Cummins Diesel,) and NV219/221/231/242/241 with various alpha suffixes (like "J" for Jeep, "D" for Dodge, or "C" for Chevvy, denotes original application of case.)

MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. Used in Speed/Density fuel metering systems, like ours.

IAT - Intake Air Temperature sensor. Another Speed/Density component.

TFS - Thermal Fan Switch. Found on earlier XJ's - either in the radiator tank (RENIX) or thermostat housing (OBD-I) OBD-II used signal from ECM

ECM - Engine Control Module. Main computer governing engine functions.

MPI - Multi-Port Injection. Typically, one injector per cylinder. (sometimes MPFI - Multi-Port Fuel Injection. Same thing.)

TBI - Throttle Body Injection. Seen on the earlier injectied four-cylinders.

Anything I missed?

5-90

DTE - Distance to Empty.

4HI - The part-time 4WD range on the NP231 transfer cases.

4PT - The part-time 4WD range on the NP242 transfer cases.

4FT - The full-time 4WD range on the NP242 transfer cases.

(Yes, those last three look similar, but actually distinguish the cases from each other - 2HI, N, and 4LO are the same between them)

DILLIGAF - usually directed at the person with the nice shiny SUV making disapproving faces that I just parked my filth-covered Jeep next to.

TANSTAAFL - "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" - coined by Heinlein

TANJ - "There Ain't No Justice" - Larry Niven

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary - typically seen on advisory posts.

RTFM - Read The F***ing manual. Seen on S&N trouble tickets as "Needed to install RTFM interface."

I could go into various soldierspeak starting with "F" - but only if encouraged and granted immunity by the Mod Gods... :laugh3:

5-90

Back