• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember

Yellow XJNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ive said before that Im not very literate about autos...yet.
I was driving today and heard a loud THUMP followed by a CLANK. I looked underneath and the Crossmember (? I think thats what it is) has come undone. Lost one bolt and bushing on the drivers side which pulled the other driver side bolt and bushing out. Now the Drivers side of the crossbember is hanging freely a few inches down and has moved forward about an inch and a half. (Id get pics but I have not Digital Camera)

I have a 4.5 rough country lift. I dont know how to go about fixing this. Can I pick up that bolt and bushing at a hardware/autostore or do I have to call up RC?

TIA.

Mike

What bushings are you talking about? Were they part of a xmember drop in the rough country kit? If nothing is broken it should be easy enough to go to the hardware store and pick up a set of bolts and washers.

The bushings appear to be about 1.5 inches thick. They are rubber bushings i guess they where put there when the lift went on.

Are you certain you're talking about the cross member? The cross member runs across the vehicle (duh!), from frame rail to frame rail, approximately under the front seats, and it has a rubber mounting block on top that supports the transmission. If you look from the passenger side, the cross member is the flat thing that goes across the chassis just ahead of the square flange at the front of the catalytic converter.

Like Simon, I cannot imagine using rubber bushings to mount a cross member, so I think we're talking about something else entirely.

XJCHUCK72 said:
If it is the crossmember, then it's most likely an atempt at a TC drop.

Yeah, I know. But and inch and a half? And RUBBER?

Yikes!!! :eek:

Well I cant drive the XJ till I get this fixed. Ill try to get my buddy's digital camera tomorrow morning before work and get some pics. Maybe that will help you evaluate my problem.
I appreciate your continued help.

I was talking to Crewbus a few min. ago and he directed me to Rustys. I think this is a good opportunity for me to get better parts than OEM. Im gonna spring for a beefier Crossmember from rustys with a 1 inch drop. Does this sound like a good alternative to you guys?

Whoa

Anything is a better alternative to a 1.5 inch, rubber t-case drop, let alone dragging half of it down the street or trail. Good choice.

Well, i guess someone up there likes me cuz my dad said he'd foot the bill for the crossmember. Im gonna order the rustys 1 inch drop corssmember tomorrow AM. Thanks for the input guys. I love NAXJA.

Back